Puget sound Spear gun Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Page 102 Species Rules, although the first sentence say's it, finish the paragph and it states it can be shot or harpooned while landing. and as I reviewed the rockfish can be speared in neahbay.

Happy Diving

A ranger at the boat ramp at keystone is the source that made to quit persuing it.

If you find differently do tell, now for shootn em they are dangerous, I would recommend anelacharters .com they will teach you how and where to spear the hals.

Happy Diving

Samson, There are no halibut in the sound. Neah Bay--yes, West Port--yes, The straights--yes, Puget Sound--no. Moreover, the regs usually don't tell you what you can't hunt; only what you can hunt. If the fish isn't listed, you can't catch it. Also,VooDooGasMan may disagree with me, but the halibut you have (Pacific Halibut) are deep...real deep. When I used to fish for them (again, before dinosaurs) I caught them in 300+ feet of water.

I have caught halibut out of port townsend before I guess that may be considered the straight I guess.....I have heard of them caught in as shallow as 50-60 feet,...but you would have some wicked currents I suspect..... Shooting a big 50Lber would be a sight to see,... I think It would beat you to death! Ill stick to shooting the smaller ones if the opportunity presents its self....

Thanks for the info....

Samson-

You are correct.Size does matter.More on the size of the gun,over the size of the Spearo.
Start small first,and work up.Different guns for different applications works best for me.
I have an excellent refurbished Banded 44" that would be great for just starting out.
Later down the road,just add to your arsenal.Kinda like your dive gear.
I get em one piece at a time,and it definately costs me more than a dime.
I can let this one go for $65.00.It cost me about $30.00 to refurbish it.
It is a big let down as far as the PNW Spear fishing goes.Look for other avenues.
Best Regards
Dive Safe
Dreamin To Sea
Bill:confused:

I would say the JBL mag 46" worrks great. I just got a 40 lb ling at Neah Bay with it. The woody is great it floats when the spear is fired and nautarl when loaded. Get a woody

I got a 40lb ling at Neah Bay at the end of August. The woody is soo much better in the water. I dove a buddies NW 38 specail a few times it was so nose heavy. THE woody is so balanced I love it.[/I]
HOPE THIS HELPS

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom