Pumpkin carving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
So it's that time of year again.... I am looking for techniques for the underwater pumpkin carving contest :).
So how do you manage the bouancy of the pumpkin? Will the top float away when you cut it off? What's the best cutting tool? Can I finally use my dive knife for something?

-kate

Originally posted by scubakat
So it's that time of year again.... I am looking for techniques for the underwater pumpkin carving contest :).
So how do you manage the bouancy of the pumpkin? Will the top float away when you cut it off? What's the best cutting tool? Can I finally use my dive knife for something?

-kate

I still laugh over my attempt at carving. Pumpkin carving may have different "rules" where you are, but for us, they were simple:
- two person team
- only dive knives
- nothing "extra" beyond your standard scuba kit
- no punching holes prior to dive.

Here's what we did:
1) over weight yourself and your buddy (who's ever carrying the pumpkin add even a bit more). This weight is what you will use to weight down the pumpkin once you "gut it". Don't put the weight on your belt, rather in your bcd pocket - or extra ankle weights.
2) the non-pumkin carry diver drops first and helps pull down the carry diver (it's amazing how much those things will float -- we didn't have enough extra weight, and I ended up sitting on my buddy until I could get that first hole in the squash)
3) find a rock or something to help wedge the pumpkin under while u/w.
4) keep your design simple

above all. have fun take pics
and yes the top will float away if you don't secure it --- as some of the other teams found out. they had a surface swim to retrieve the tops.

So do fish like pumpkin guts as much as I did as a kid? I wonder if there is any ecological damage caused by pumpkin carving under water? Are any animals harmed in the process of carving? DO the EPA and SPCA have guidlines we should be following.

Or should we say the heck with it and just have fun!

All in favor of just having fun raise your beer to the screen and yell "Pumpkin Diver Down"

being the net junkie I am here is a link to a 1999 underwater pumpkin carving champion picture
Carved Under Da' Waves

Here is some more info. Is this event going to be newsworthy?
Pumpkin Carving at a new Low

Now lets get out there and kick some pumpkin Butt

Thanks for this post, we are having our UW Pumpkin Carving Contest on Oct. 28, and I have been formulating my plan too.
1-Extra weights a must, to help stay down and for the pumpkin once gutted.
2-I thought of using my game bag to carry the pumpkin while descending and to store the top in once cut.
3- I hope our rules are such that buddies will be assisting with each other. I am not sure as they have asked each diver to bring a pumpkin and a tool to carve with.
4- Thought would carry my dive knive and a filet knife, not sure which will work best. Also, they sell pumpkin carving tools at places like WalMart might look into those.
5-Don't know where to go from here. I have no design in mind and doubt it would help.

Our contest will be held by the Augusta Dive Club at the Elijah Park at Clark's Hill/Thurmond Lake, SC. at 1:00pm. They will also, have other activities and a cook out.

Originally posted by seaangel
... 4- Thought would carry my dive knive and a filet knife, not sure which will work best. Also, they sell pumpkin carving tools at places like WalMart might look into those.
5-Don't know where to go from here. I have no design in mind and doubt it would help.

as for a filet knife -- it might not be strong enough to cut through the shell, suggest you try it out on the surface.

as for the pumpkin carving tools, what I've seen around here, are small and difficult to manouver if wearing gloves, and underwater, also the one's I've seen have plastic handles --- yet another thing to float away.

as for design there are places on the web that provide "free designs" they might help to inspire you.

TexasMike,

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you guys are doing pumpkin carving aren't you? Is it going to be at Clear Springs or at Travis?

I know I read about this somewhere.

BTW: If anyone is interested in going to Clear Springs in Terrell Texas, they do have a Website

And for texas diving this is one of the better places if you don't want to drive a ways and live close to the DFW area.

Back
Top Bottom