Purchase this USED tank?

Purchase USED Luxar AL80 for $150

• YES...purchase the used tank

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • NO...stay away from the used tank

Votes: 41 95.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charged

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everybody, Im a newly certified SSI diver (OW). I am about to purchase my first tank. I have read a lot on this site concerning tanks and decided on purchasing a Worthington Steel HP100. HOWEVER, a dive store threw me a curve ball...

For $150 (versus same tank new $250) I get a USED Luxer AL80. Manufactured in 1991and Hydrotested 3 months ago. Store offered to open it up for my own personal inspection...I wouldent know what to look for anyway. The store hydrotested it and VIP it prior to putting on the showroom. Said nothing was wrong with it. In dark blue paint. Also, I get 10 free air fills and 1st VIP free. Yoke is included. What do you think?

No, Im not rich so money IS an issue...but so is my life. So if I should wait and save up for a better tank if this one might be unsafe or something...then so be it.

Ive seen this asked before so as to consider what tank to purchase, so Ill go ahead and include it, Im 6'2" 200pds with NO fat. I dont smoke, and I tend to believe my breathing rate is normal. I intend to dive Kentucky rivers/lakes, coastal, and carribean waters. Later I intend to learn about wreck diving and perhaps a little bit of cave diving...but I believe most of that is better suited with doubles.

Given the negative bouancy of the steel HP100, and my lack of body fat, there was an issue with it perhaps creating a dangerous situation with sinking me. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As stated earlier, you can get AL80s all day long from the 150 -180 price range. For 250, you are much better off with a steel tank. If you can afford it, I think you will be much more appreciative of the steel anyway. Wont have to carry nearly as much weight and the ST80 will be much more compact.

As for the buoyancy concern, bouyancy is more than just fat/no fat. Air control and lung capacity play a huge part in how buoyant you are. If you are wearing an exposure suit, this will have a significant impact as well. The best thing you can do is get in the water with you suit and rig on and see how it feels. If you are sinking without any weight, then you might want to look at the AL80, but I think you will be surprised at how buoyant you are with everything on.

Stay away from an Al80 used thats selling for $150.00. You can get a new al80 from Scubatoys for that. Even with the free air, the tank is still over priced.

How much weight do you dive with ? I ask because if you go to a steel 100, you will be able to drop about 6 lbs off .

Jim B

I bought Two Al 80's for 139.00 a piece from Divers Supply - Discount Scuba Gear - Serious About Your Fun, and Your Savings!, I acctually bouth the tanks from the LDS not online but that is way overpriced for and AL 80. My tanks are Luxfer as well. Since buying those tanks, I have since purchased 10 more tanks. ALL HAVE BEEN STEEL'S. The bouyancy charcterstics of the steel's are far better than the AL 80's. This will be even more important when and if you decide to dive dry. The AL 80's in my opinon are evil tanks. I wish I had never bought them. The steel 100 is a great choice. I would also consider trying to find the Thermo Pro valve that XS scub sells, its convertible from yoke/din incase you ever would like to make that transition as well.

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction!

At 6'2" and 200 lbs, I think you would find the gas supply in an Al80 to be limiting.

If you are going to dive regularly in water which will require exposure protection, an HP100 is not going to be dangerously negative.

The AL 80's in my opinon are evil tanks.

For cold, salt water diving, I agree with you. But they're great freshwater doubles, and perfect stages :)

The tank you are considering would not be dangerous, since it has recently been inspected, but I agree with everyone else, $150 is too much for it.

$50 would be a good buy, $75 is what I'd expect to pay. New AL 80s go on special at about $110 regularly.

I'd also find another lds if that one is trying to sell you a used tank for 150 bucks. What else are they shafting you on? And even if you have no body fat at all a steel single is not going to overweight you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom