Purchasing your first dive computer. A non-technical approach.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stgcph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Some time ago, a new diver started a thread in the “New divers and those Considering Diving”-Forum asking advice about choosing the first dive computer. I followed that thread closely and it was quite interesting to observe, how it came to loose relevance for the original poster. I don’t mean to insult anyone because I think the intentions were good, but what happened was that “the heavy boys” on this board quickly hijacked the thread and turned it into a very advanced discussion on decompression theory, dive profiles, algorithms, M-lines, Gradient Factor settings, etc., etc. The thread went on for many days and at some point one of the contributors noted, that the OP had not been on the thread for a long time. That came as no surprise to me because at that point the discussion was way above the head of most new divers (and probably a few not-so-new divers). I think, that the good intentions to really get to the bottom of things did more towards blurring the picture and lowering spirits not least as the assumption was aired, that one cannot (responsibly) go and buy a computer without in-depth knowledge of all this stuff.

I’m glad I did not read that thread before I went and bought my computer. I still may not have got to the bottom of all that, and as a reaction and maybe as a provocation (and maybe as course for a good laugh for some), I will tell how I came about successfully buying my first (and hitherto only) dive computer without much knowledge on the matter.

I did do a little research so I had in mind, that apart from the fundamental functions I would go for one with a user replaceable battery. But that was about it.

So down I went to my NFDS (Neighborhood Friendly Dive Shop) and I said to them ”I wanna go a-divin’ an’ i want my own computer”. And they said “Good idea; we can help you with that”. Of course, they started showing me the advanced stuff with dozens of functions, air integration, color display and scandalous price tags. But then they started asking me questions like “Are you planning to advance into tech-diving and using trimix? Are you looking for something conservative or more liberal?” And I said “Tech-what? Tri-what-mixture?” and wondering why they were asking me about my political orientation. Then they said “Okay, we get it, here is one for you. It is relatively cheap and it has got everything needed to take you well into diving.” I said “Fine, an’ you’re sure it’s not gonna kill me? And they said “Yeah, if you learn how to use it and do what it tells you.” And happy I left the shop with my new computer.

I have been using it for a year and a half now and I am still happy with it. I may never need another (if it doesn’t die on me).

In the same thread mentioned above one of the contributors offered a very sound and useful advice saying that “The best computer for you is the one you know how to use”. I agree much with that and also, I am one of those dudes that like reading user manuals. So the approach that I used after purchasing the computer was something like this:
  1. Read the manual carefully.
  2. Referencing the manual go through all the functions and settings that you can access in surface mode and try to change them and change them back again. The pre-dive planning function too.
  3. Read the manual carefully.
  4. Talk to your instructor or some other knowledgeable person about anything that you do not understand and specifically about how to set timers and alarms.
  5. Read the manual carefully and be sure that now you understand it. This may involve diving a little into some of the more technical concepts, but initially you only need to “scratch the surface”. Fiddle with the functions and settings and familiarize yourself with them.
  6. If you still feel uncertain about anything, GoTo Step 4.
Now you can go diving with the computer and learn to read and interpret the dive-mode screens. Spend some time on it; it is worth it. You can also join on-line learning sessions and/or purchase a dive simulator (if available for your specific computer).

I remember one of the first times I was diving in open water on my OW training and I was looking at my computer and thinking to myself “Wow, am I good at buoyancy control and maintaining my depth accurately” until I realized, that I was reading the max-depth and not the actual depth.

I am not trying to say, that this is an ideal approach. It depends on having a local dive shop that you believe to be trustworthy. And of course, the more you know initially the more informed choices you can make. All I’m saying is, that it is possible to go and buy a dive computer that you may be happy with for a long time without having in-depth knowledge of all the theory (or empiricism) of diving. You can pick that up along the way as you gain experience or as perhaps you choose to progress into more advanced diving. Then you may want to get another computer.

There was a new diver dive computer thread that heavily went towards tech capable dive computers, namely shearwater. I recall 1 member was pretty opinionated. Something along the lines of shearwater was the only choice and everything else was bad value or a paperweight.

There is a lot of really good information and discussions on this board. In general, everyone has good intentions and is offering valid opinions based on their experiences. Sometimes, some members forget that all divers do not necessarily dive like they do, where they do and never aspire to go beyond open water recreational diving.

Have fun with your dive computer. I replaced my 1st dive computer after 15 yrs. of use. It still works great, I just wanted to get something new.

Last edited:
I am not trying to say, that this is an ideal approach.

I believe that for majority of users it is and that people who scream One True Algorithm Scuba Lab Study in every "I'm not yet certified, which computer should I buy" thread are indeed doing the majority of new users a disservice. Now if only deep6's vapourware condensed into an actual product, we'd leave it all behind us and answer every computer question with "deep 6 or perdix ai".

My first pdc purchase was based on buying a dive computer that, no matter what you did, was going to provide a solution to get you to the surface without remaining deco obligation. That was revolutionary in the late 1980 to early 1990 time period. Most all of them locked you out. Heck, nitrox was just taking a foothold, and wasn't in many computers programming. So many choices these days.....

Now if only deep6's vapourware condensed into an actual product, we'd leave it all behind us and answer every computer question with "deep 6 or perdix ai".

As much as i agree with the rest of your post i think that multitude of choice and competition is basically a good thing.

FWIW, I went with the Mares Puck. Decent, simple computer. It's easy to use, and pretty reliable.

Adam

A couple non-tech things I looked for in a DC after using shop rentals was one button vs. multi button control (determines how you work through the software menus); how it communicates with a PC for logging dives (I wanted to easily move to an electronic dive log); does it have some "very general" conservatism level options (mainly to get a general match if you have a regular dive buddy). Some of these are 2nd tier issues that might later on cause you to want to make a change aside from "do you want to tech dive in the future" concerns.

As much as i agree with the rest of your post i think that multitude of choice and competition is basically a good thing.

Freedom is the absence of choice.

Back
Top Bottom