Purge mask Or Reg mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Punisher

Registered
Reaction score
I need to get another mask mine had it shopping online because the dealers around here suck as far as choices. I always had a reg mask but am curious on your thoughts if I should get a purge mask and how well do they work pros and cons

I haven't had a purge mask since I was a kid, 'way back when. It really depends on who comfortable you are clearing a mask. I gave up on purge masks after I had one where the flapper dried out and made the mask leak.

Of course, I often clear my mask head down, or on my side, or just however I happen to be situated at that moment. I couldn't do that with a purge valve mask.

For me, *fit* is a thousand times more important than having a purge valve.

As far as I am concerned, a purge mask just adds something else to go wrong. The little purge valve will eventually fail, long before the rest of the mask fails, and will be junk. If the purge valves fails during a dive (it will, Mr. Murphy says so), you will never keep water out of your mask and your dive will end. Purge valves are a solution looking for a problem as it is real easy to clear a mask.

The purge valve tends to make it hard to reach around to squeeze your nose when equalizing ... and adds something else that can (and does, from what I've seen) break.

I think I will stick with old school never had a purge and guess I will never get one LOL. And no I dont have a promblem clearing my mask very comfortable under the water and dont have an issue when water goes up my noes. Just thought I would give it a thought thanks for the info

I wouldn't really call non-purge old school, notice you do not see nearly as many choices of these for sale as regular masks and I rarely see someone using one. If you had a reason, like a problem mustache, maybe it would be worth looking into but if it's not broken don't fix it applies here.

Some People Think That a purge is the way to go but i like a low volume mask and i dont have any trouble with it.
I recomend x vision from Mares,framless from scubapro or atomic
all three have great reviews

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom