Purge Valve or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Purge valves don't actually do anything. They are just a marketing gimmick. Get yourself an inexpensive, low volume mask.

This I agree. The purge valve is marketed to make clearing your mask easier which I don't really see how difficult clearing the mask without the valve is. A low volume mask makes it ever easier.

Having that extra valve also means an extra point for failure. Should the valve failure, you will need to replace the mask.

*Bump* becasue i had to go to page 9 to find this info.

im sure im not the only n00b with this question.

UaVaj:
This is stricty a question on what are the advantages and disadvantages of the purge valve??
To answer your question, as opposed to blubbering some incredibly arrogant definitive, all-encompassing statement about why purges are "just a marketing gimmick..." I'll try to give you at least one reason where they're helpful --

As you know (and as everyone here is so quick to point out), clearing your mask isn't a terribly difficult task... comes second nature...

However, in my case, I have a limited range of neck motion (as in moving my head straight back -- one of those wonderful reminders that I'm not 20 any longer). So, rather than go partially vertical every time I have to clear, to make up for it, the purge resolves that issue... I can clear at any angle, and don't have to change my attitude in the water column.

Additionally, having a stache, I sometimes get a mild leak, and a simple exhale through my nose expels any leakage, again, without having to do a traditional clear.

I use a SeaVision Ultra, and have *never* had an issue with the purge. It's small, unobtrusive, takes up no additional room in the nose pocket, does not interfere at all with equalizing, and works...

I've had a purge valve for about 4 years. Two different masks.

Never a problem with the valve. Both masks were approx medium volume.

The purge makes it really easy to clear your mask. They work exactly as advertized.

Clearing without using the purge is equally easy.

You never get mask squeeze if you have a purge. At least I never did.

I have to get a new mask. Broke the glass out of mine. I'm going to get an Atomic without the purge. I hope I don't regreat not having the purge.

I dove a buddy's mask with purge and personally didn't care for it much, the tip of the purge valve irritated my nose.
I did buy a $22.00 low volume black mask and it fits better than my regular mask, have since retired the old mask to be used as a spare would never go back to either but, that is just my opinion.

Hello all.

I hope this isn't too noobie of a question, but was hoping to get some of your insights on purge valves.

As soon as I put on a mask I find my breathing laboured or restricted because I can't breath through my nose. Couple that with a drysuit and hood and sometimes my experience is less than enjoying, not that it's so bad to abort the dive.

While hanging out doing my safty stop I thought that a purge valve might do the trick allowing me to partly breath thru my nose while exhaling. Any thoughts on this?

DiVe_DaWg:
While hanging out doing my safty stop I thought that a purge valve might do the trick allowing me to partly breath thru my nose while exhaling. Any thoughts on this?
You can exhale through your nose with or without a purge. Without a purge, the air just harmlessly bubbles out around the skirt. Try it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom