Putting on wetsuit problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt about it, get a skin. Just came back from the Bilikiki in the Solomons. The crew saw me struggling and offered to lend me a skin. Wheh! Where have I been and what was I thinking.
Now, who knows the best kind of skin to get?
Ratings!

I definitely feel the material the wet suit is made out makes a big difference...When I went to buy my first wet suit it was a battle to try on and take off wet suits, so much pulling and tugging on the legs and etc. I haven't tried on a 7mm yet....but don't even want to imagine that. The wet suit I finally ended up buying was one of the new ones with super stretchy material....I love it because it slips right on and off. I don't know if they make the 7mm with that super stretchy material but that may definitely be a way to go because its a pain when it is difficult to put on a wet suit. Hope this helps!

I read in your comments that you said you need a 7mm in order to go to the keys in February? I haven't dived the keys but does it really get that cold in February that you need a 7mm?

Take a liter bottle of water. Add a little squirt of Baby Shampoo, it will not sting your eyes.
Shake well. Squirt in the legs and arms. Squirt some on your hands and rub on your legs and arms. You will slip on real easy.

I have had students use this method many years. You be taking a bubble bath while diving and will not smell like ?????? when you finish your day of diving.

On the zipper, spray with silicone spray just before use. Run the zipper full length.
The zipper will slip easy.

Good luck,
Tom

A polyolefin or Lycra dive skin worn underneath the wetsuit can make wetsuit donning easier. It tends to decrease friction. Also, over time, the wetsuit will loosen up a little.

Changes it from a breath-taking 5 minute ordeal to an effortless 30-second snap.

How not to do it....

BrianOrange,

If you can't don your suit while carrying on a relaxed conversation then the fit and/or your techique are lacking. In this feature I discuss these issues and others.

Pete

Great article so far, but you have got to correct all those misuses of "loose" that should be "lose". I couldn't even get past the second or third paragraph as it was about to drive me crazy.

Another option is to make a water/conditioner mix. I use this when the suit has not completely dried out since I used it last. If you're in cold(ish) weather with cold(ish) water, getting you and the suit wet prior to using it can be uncomfortable. So I just put the conditioner/water mix into a spray bottle and spray the wrists and ankles....allows me to slide in easily.

Some tricks I have heard of and tried somewhat are...
Wear something like nylons underneath to facilitate slippage.

Take note of this! Either panythose or tights, whichever your budget allows.

Pantyhose are generally only good for a couple of dives before they self-destruct. Lycra tights are almost indestructible but don't come as wide a size range as the pantyhose. Your call.

Under the newer Henderson 3mm I don't need the hose. However, with thicker neoprene (5mm+) they are almost mandatory. I even lent some to a chap on our liveaboard whilst diving in the Red Sea. We were wearing drysuits, of course, but the Brits like to tough it out in full neo. We have the evidence on video & I'm not above blackmail if the time is right! :eyebrow:

Most women take faster to the technique than men. I suspect it's because of all our practice with putting on pantyhose. :wink: You put on the hose, then pull on the bottom part of the suit much like putting on the hose: in stages. Hard to explain, but once you've done it, it becomes 2nd nature.

Bonne chance!

Hey everyone -- Thanks for all the great info. Good news is that I got on the wetsuit with no issues last night. Basically I was trying to zip up the thing like I would zip a jacket or something. I was not pulling the cord to zip it up. I was trying to literally zip it (if this makes any sense). Finally I discovered the zip cord and why it was there and I got it zipped up in 2 seconds!

The overall fit is pretty darn tight though. Hopefully it's not too tight. I can definitely move around. It's a Neoprene by Henderson 5 mm but has no Thereoprene. Maybe that's why. Can't wait to use it in February.

Back
Top Bottom