Puzzled over NAUI certification "name changes"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like they messed up the chart a bit.

NAUI does not have any presence here on scubaboard so you won't get an "official" reply from them.

im a bit puzzled as to the problem, you still have the card and it's still perfectly useful for showing folks if asked for a certification, what difference does it make that they later changed the designator? If the card has worn out and you need a replacement just put in a replacement request, if they don't have have the card printer set up for scuba diver anymore then you'll probably get an open water card, still perfectly useful for getting air fills, etc.

if the issue is the error on the website, just let them know. They're not terribly quick about that kind of problem but it will absolutely get fixed within the next ten years or so. :)

Yeah, it seems like they have made a lot of friends. :D

TC:
im a bit puzzled as to the problem, you still have the card and it's still perfectly useful for showing folks if asked for a certification, what difference does it make that they later changed the designator?

Because of their lack of organization, it's almost as if I never received any open water certification at all. According to their chart, my old "Scuba Diver" certification never even existed and my "Openwater" (assuming "Openwater 1") is classified as "Scuba Diver." It is like earning a green belt in karate but being returned to white belt just because they can't get their act together. That's not right in my book. I paid for an Openwater course, which was back then the next step in the progression after "Scuba Diver," and I feel that should somehow be recognized.

Many people have this "let the idiotic behavior slide" attitude. I don't roll like that. If an organization cannot get something as simple as names right/organized then they have no business being involved in something as serious as SCUBA diving.

Did you call and ask for a replacement OW card? That would be my first step. Locate a local NAUI instructor and have them send for it. Or request one from HQ yourself. Don't see where it's that big of a deal.

I took the NAUI Openwater course soon after obtaining my Scuba Diver certification. It was 29 years ago, so all I can say is that it was the next course in the process towards more advanced certification (Divemaster, specialty diver, etc.)

A name change should be as simple as a=x, b=y, and c=z. It makes no sense whatsoever to leave out a and b.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

Did you call and ask for a replacement OW card? That would be my first step. Locate a local NAUI instructor and have them send for it. Or request one from HQ yourself. Don't see where it's that big of a deal.

I requested a card from HQ myself and they sent me a "Scuba Diver" card probably because they didn't know what else to do. My complaint is that my extra training is not being recognized.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2014 at 03:01 PM ----------

Don't see where it's that big of a deal.

After going through the training and receiving a license as a truck driver, I don't think you would be too happy if Bubba over at DMV told you, "Oh yeah, we made some changes over here. Not sure about this truck license you got, so were are giving you a brand new shiny Class Minus Z moped license. Enjoy."

The difference between the scuba diver and the openwater cards back then, the openwater had two additional openwater dives.

Most folks these days would not even know there was a difference in the cards. If you're using that card for evidence of training the dive operator is going to be far more concerned about the 29 year age of your training. If you have more recent advanced training then the whole discussion is kind of a moot point isn't it?

Any dive operator, if presented with a card that old, is likely to question if you you have any more recent training or have been diving recently. The difference in two dives almost 30 years ago isn't really going to matter.

My NAUI card, dated 1982, says Scuba Diver, and Openwater.
View attachment NAUI card.pdf
(Ignore the PADI Scuba Review tag in the lower left corner)

I remember my instructor telling us that it was a new NAUI cert level...

As to content, it was probably unusual, because it was a Science Diver (AAUS) class at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and pretty much covered through Rescue with a bit of DM knowledge stuff. Took a semester, 8 (long) OW dives, and a ton of pool time.

Ok...let's clear this up.

The old "scuba diver" course is equivalent to the modern day passport diver. In other agencies if is known as a resort course, try scuba, scuba experience...etc. it basically says that you have been diving before but are not certified to dive independently.
The OW1 course is the equivalent of the modern day Scuba Diver course. This is the reason why when you contacted NAUI HQ, they sent you a scuba diver card.
I think you are getting worked up over almost nothing. A lot of records got lost/destroyed in the transition period of the 1990's, which honestly makes you lucky that HQ even has a record of you. My father in law was NAUI certified in the early 80's and there is no record of his certs. Luckily he still has his old cards, and he has no issues diving anywhere with the raggedy old things.

Hope this helps.

TC:
The difference between the scuba diver and the openwater cards back then, the openwater had two additional openwater dives.

Most folks these days would not even know there was a difference in the cards. If you're using that card for evidence of training the dive operator is going to be far more concerned about the 29 year age of your training. If you have more recent advanced training then the whole discussion is kind of a moot point isn't it?

Any dive operator, if presented with a card that old, is likely to question if you you have any more recent training or have been diving recently. The difference in two dives almost 30 years ago isn't really going to matter.

These external factors still have nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is NAUI's lack of organization/responsibility. They are not going to be presented with "a card that old" because I received a new card (which I previously explained).

My open water certification consisted of 8 weeks of classroom study, pool training, written test, and open water dive. It was like doing everything over again at a more advanced level.

These external factors still have nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is NAUI's lack of organization/responsibility.
You are obsessed with this. Clearly, you need to cut up all your NAUI cards and go get certified from some other agency. There, doesn't that feel better now?

My NAUI card, dated 1982, says Scuba Diver, and Openwater.
View attachment 191424
(Ignore the PADI Scuba Review tag in the lower left corner)

I remember my instructor telling us that it was a new NAUI cert level...

As to content, it was probably unusual, because it was a Science Diver (AAUS) class at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and pretty much covered through Rescue with a bit of DM knowledge stuff. Took a semester, 8 (long) OW dives, and a ton of pool time.

Thank you very much for that scan. My openwater card looks different and it does not say "Scuba Diver."

---------- Post added August 17th, 2014 at 03:52 PM ----------

Somehow it's twisted around and made to be my fault because NAUI cannot perform basic tasks?

---------- Post added August 17th, 2014 at 03:55 PM ----------

Ok...let's clear this up.

The old "scuba diver" course is equivalent to the modern day passport diver.

Absolutely not accurate. The Scuba Diver certification course was an 8 week classroom/pool/test/openwater dive course. Again, this is why standardization is crucial. This certification gave us 100% authorization to dive independently.

Back
Top Bottom