Q&A for all scuba Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

savannahbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a question for all of the Scuba Manufactureres. I am considered in the real world a plus size women, (size 16/18). I am curious to find out why the manufactureres can only make a size large in womens clothing or wetsuites. I have had a time with wetsuites. I was lucky to find the womens Tusa Selene BC, and I finally found a wetsuite (Bare) but had to ge the mans XL short because the womens did not have the correct size for my upper body. Most of the women divers that I know are considered plus size and they all have the same problems with there equipment and/or clothing from the local dive shops. Women should not have to by mens or hyperstretch to fit us. It seems that the diving community is starting to welcome more women divers now we need to get the manufactureres to start welcoming us as well.

I am sure the reason is that women make up such a small percentage of divers that they would have to charge alot and no one would buy them. If they would sell I know that they would be made and kept in stock.

There is always the custom suit option. It's not as expensive as you might think. Henderson will make custom suits, and there are other companies such as Liquidfit.

Not that i don't understand your gripe, I just thought you might like to know there are some affordable options out there to get the suit that fits you right.

i totally agree with savanahbell! i had to get a custom fit wetsuit because for some reason manufactures in australia think only girls as large as size 16 dive. thankfully i had no problems with my bcd because i went with zeagle.

Thanks almitywife. I have a great wetsuite that does fit like a glove now, but i had to go thru 3 before I finally found the one that fits. I do love my BC. My point is that there are more women now diving than before, even when we go diving there seems to be more than men. What do we have to do to let the diving community see that women are interested in this and they need to cater to us as well. Even the clothes they do make for women are very little and somethings are cute but I am sorry I do not fit into a XS swim suite or shorts. If you want a t-shirts from the dive shop you better go to the mens section...

savannahbell:
If you want a t-shirts from the dive shop you better go to the mens section...
its a plot by men to take all our cool stuff and they are only pretending to be dumb...

but serioulsly i agree - alot of clothing manufactures are now realizing that all women are not size 8 and there is a huge push for "real women wear".

the way you see the forums go nuts over jessica alba in that diving movie (cant remember the name) shows that men will be boys and the scuba bunny steroptype continues.

Your right about finding sizes for women in wetsuits. Dry Suits are a different story. Most manufacturers offer women sizes, and companies like DUI and our selves market heavily to the female diver. Probably because both of our companies are run by women.:D

I think the problem doesn't just affect the plus sizes. I am a 5'4", a street size 10 and am struggling. By many of the size charts I am: by weight-XXL/14 (some of them don't even have my weight listed), by height-XS/4, by bust, waist, and hip LG/10. When I get a size I can get into the knee pads are on my ankles. Sheesh.

Supersize my suit; start your own company. Not enough money to be made I'm afraid. Anyway you're still better of than Cousteau; he had to invent his own regulator!

Its not about lets Supersize stuff, it is the fact that everything out there is catered to men. And now women can do anything they want to do and Scuba should be one of those things. All I am saying is that the manufacturers need to know that all women are not the perfect role model of a stick. Some are and some are not. I love scuba diving and what to be welcome in this community not shown the bigger mens sizes or you will have to have something made to order or settle for something less. Let a man walk in the dive shop and it is a different ballgame. We are pushed a side and have to settle, I am not doing that anymore. This is why I posted this message, for the women out there who feel :frosty: the same way (small, large, short or tall).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom