Q about Vehicle break-in on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure our rental trucks had spare tires. Not something that I worried about.

As for putting down the local authorities for not stopping thieves, Bonaire's dive sites are widely separated and it would take an army to watch them all. This is a "problem" that is over hyped. Leave your valuables in your room safe and enjoy the diving. A little cash and a credit card in a pouch is all you need.

Right "putting down the local authorities", oh lets pity the locals. Please. Everyone I know that has beach dived has been broken into. I'ts NOT over hyped. Just make sure you check the insurance box on the car rental form. The local cops tolerate it if they wanted to stop it they could, simple as that.

The ever eternal question of theft on Bonaire. I simply left the windows down and left normal stuff like glasses out. Somehow, my vision has improved and I only wear Sunglasses to drive... there are a ton of hidey holes on any particular vehicle. Pick one and don't worry about it.

As for the authorities... I think I saw ONE on-duty cop while I was there. They don't have much of a budget for that kind of thing and they keep their prices down.

It wouldn't be cost effective for the police to run patrols all over the island worrying about a few pair of cheap sunglasses.

I think pilotfish has been reincarnated.

We've visited Bonaire 10 times in the last 15 years, staying 2 to 3 weeks and diving from shore exclusively since 2003.

We follow standard rental truck protocol and have never had any problems, nor seen anyone else first-hand who has. However we have seen remnants of broken auto glass at many sites, which indicates to us that some folks don't listen very well.

One of these days something will probably go missing from our truck during a dive. Maybe flip-flops or sunglasses, or maybe the truck battery or spare tire. If it happens, we'll deal with it and move on. There's nowhere else in the Caribbean where you can drive up and down the coastline and enjoy so many shore-diving opportunities at your own pace and leisure.

70 days and counting until we return...

I guess the problem in Bonaire could be worse - it could be like Cozumel and Cancun where the only people you need to worry about are the police.

The only time I've been robbed in Cozumel was by a uniformed police officer driving a police car. :shakehead:

Maybe I should just go to Florida where I get mugged by locals and robbed by the hotels, restaurants and dive shops.

hi doc harry:
no, it doesn`t. you can put as many cylinders as you want, because they are not searching for them. they wlant valuables or anyhing they can sell, and also, cylinders are too heavy for them to carry. we left our rent pickup w/ open windows, bottles of water, used towels, shirts and shorts. no ccard, no sunglasses, no money. money, car keys and credit cards were taken underwater in an airtight small container (about the size of a cigarrete box, bus 3 times slimmer.
dont`worry.
have a nice dive vacation.
regards, otavio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom