Q about Vehicle break-in on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's cost effective about negative PR that drives away tourist dollars? On an island with barely 15,000 people (+/-), they would get to the bottom of this situation if it was a priority. All it would take is a few cameras in a few rental trucks, and maybe the intestinal fortitude to throw the perps in jail.

does it really affect the tourism that much... people go there to dive, and from what i've hear you follow the recommendations and nothing is lost... typically when something is lost its not that much of a loss to deter visitors... other tourist destinations have to deal with more than petty theft... (armed assault, kidnapping etc)...

i've seen the reports on theft and i still booked my bonaire honeymoon 8 months in advance lol

We're still going, too

Although I did chose Bonaire over Jamaica because of the crime issue.

LOL! And that's why it will never change. :wink:

Right We speak with our tourism dollars. Don't Go and spend your money and you;'ll be surprised what happens when it dries up. The Authorities will be forced to do something! Please, this has been going on for YEARS and some people don't get it! I for one and am not going there again untill they do something about all the break-ins! What would it take to patrol the beach dive areas. Sorry not that much. And where does their booty get sold?? The Black market. The cops can shut it down of they wished. They choose not too!

Please, this has been going on for YEARS and some people don't get it!
Perception is everything. Most of the posters here have had NOTHING happen to them. One or two have and that's about it. You and I live in pretty safe neighborhoods, buy you've got mine BEAT: Key Largo, FL Crime Rate Indexes - CLRSearch

Demographic

Demographic

Here's one for Miami vs Key Largo. Miami is only an hour or so away. Scary!

Demographic

I doubt that Bonaire is any more dangerous than Key Largo. There's no more crime there as far as I can tell, so I feel safe!

I for one and am not going there again untill they do something about all the break-ins!
You've made your point, but you seem to be in the minority here. I hope you do your research for anywhere outside of the US and many, many places IN the US. If you're going to avoid any places that have crime, you're going to have to buy yourself a deserted island somewhere.

BTW, this thread is really making me want to go again. Maybe, just maybe we need to invade Bonaire so the entire Board can see just how dangerous it isn't. I'll see what we can do about that.

I can imagine many places in the world where if I left a vehicle--especially a rental vehicle marking me as a tourist--on a near-deserted beach it would surely be vandalized. Heck, a couple of my neighbors have been the victims of smash-and-grabs from their cars in the parking lot of my apartment building here in Atlanta, and my car was broken into in downtown Atlanta not too many years ago. Bonaire may look idyllic to us tourists, but people there have a tough life just like anywhere else. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I would have been surprised if the locals in Bonaire exercised a greater degree of respect for the law than people elsewhere. It would be asking a lot to expect Bonaire to step up its policing to the extent needed to cut down on this kind of relatively petty crime. I suppose they could increase the marine park fee to cover the cost of a few new police vehicles and officers to patrol the dive site parking areas, but I don't think the situation is bad enough to warrant that.

I would advise only taking old shirts,old shorts, old sandals/flipflops, leave the windows down and glovebox/console open and dive with the rest. Don't bother hiding stuff because it won't help, people do watch. Doing that we had our truck gone through once but that's it.

The local cops tolerate it if they wanted to stop it they could, simple as that.

What's cost effective about negative PR that drives away tourist dollars? On an island with barely 15,000 people (+/-), they would get to the bottom of this situation if it was a priority. All it would take is a few cameras in a few rental trucks, and maybe the intestinal fortitude to throw the perps in jail.

On would think, that after YEARS of this crap going on, that to preserve tourism that the authorities would do something to combat this.

Right We speak with our tourism dollars. Don't Go and spend your money and you;'ll be surprised what happens when it dries up. The Authorities will be forced to do something! Please, this has been going on for YEARS and some people don't get it! I for one and am not going there again untill they do something about all the break-ins! What would it take to patrol the beach dive areas. Sorry not that much. And where does their booty get sold?? The Black market. The cops can shut it down of they wished. They choose not too!

The above opinions don't reflect the reality of life on Bonaire.

Regarding "tolerance" for crime by local authorities:
There's a huge income gap between native Bonaireans and those who bring their money from elsewhere. There are no jobs for many people to do and limited welfare funds are available. Cost of living has gone through the roof and continues to get worse since dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles in October 2010. Many people can't afford electricity to refrigerate food or propane to cook with. Thus petty crime is a way of life for a small portion of the population. The police are outnumbered, thieves are everywhere and look like everyone else, and the prisons are already full of more serious criminals. Adding trained officers, vehicles, and fuel at additional unfunded expense to patrol remote dive sites ranks relatively low on the police and government list of priorities.

Police and prisons are currently underfunded and understaffed. There is currently no room in Bonaire's prison system for petty criminals engaging in small-scale property crime. Bonaire's prison was completed in 2010 and currently exceeds capacity. The prison also houses prisoners from Saba and St. Eustatius (also Dutch municipalities since October 2010, like Bonaire.) Another prison on Bonaire is planned for completion in 2015.

Regarding threats to withhold tourist dollars from Bonaire's economy:
The tourism industry on Bonaire has grown unchecked and uncontrolled for years. The most recent phenomenon is the frequent arrival of hoards of cruise ship passengers. (The current cruise ship schedule indicates ~150,000 cruise ship passengers are headed for Bonaire between November 2012 and April 2013.)

The island is struggling to provide municipal infrastructure to keep pace and is still catching up. They've just recently brought the islands first sewage treatment system online, funded primarily by ~$35 million USD tax money from Holland. There's currently a 5 month waiting list for local residents to have propane cylinders refilled for refrigeration and cooking. Electricity rates on Bonaire are 3 times that of Curacao and anticipated to further rise 20% to 50% in the near future as a result of recent arbitration between utility providers. This is also expected to cause water rates to rise proportionally. Even employed residents are struggling to pay for basic necessities of living on the island, as wages aren't rising proportionally. All of this contributes significantly to the crime problem.

There's no threat to Bonaire's tourism business if you choose not to spend your money there. If you visit Bonaire your tourism dollars are doing little, if anything, to mitigate the underlying problems or fund sustainable long-term solutions. If you don't visit Bonaire, others (like me) will. Airplanes will still fly, dive operators will still be busy, and occasionally a rental truck will be burglarized at a remote shore dive site. While you certainly have the right to spend your money where and how you like, your presence on Bonaire won't be missed.

@diversteve, thanks for the OtterBox suggestion. I've been looking for something like that. I ordered a couple of different sizes today.

The never ending debate. I've been going for the last 10 years and just got back yesterday from my most recent frolic into dreamland. I've never been a victim of a theft on Bonaire, then again I've never left anything in my truck to take...ok, that's entirely true...but if some local wanted it and took it..whatever. If I left it in the truck and it was taken that it was my fault for leaving it there to begin with. I probably would be a little pissed and dissappointed, but I doubt it would deter me from returning.

I did read a few years ago about a break-in at a house that was being rented out..while the people where in the home. That was scary, but an isolated incident. Petty theft happens, happens where you live right now and happens in Bonaire. My perception of Bonaire is that it's a safe place to visit and the people are very friendly. Like anywhere else in the world there is a small percentage of people who are criminals. This really is nothing new.

I do understand the virgins to the island being a little cautious/weary, however there is an extremely good chance you will have an uneventful crime free trip. It beats living in a bubble.

J

Jim, I wear glasses also and just left them laying on the console. I took a backup pair in case I broke mine but I've never missed a pair of prescription glasses in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom