Quality Instruction in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scc135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I was considering going down to the Keys (Largo or maybe Islamorada) for some diving and thought, how about taking rescue diver? Is there any quality dive instruction or is it pretty much all "read the book yourself then we'll go on a fun dive doing skills for 5 minutes?" like down in Roatan (or at least how it was during my AOW there)?

Although you can find that kind of instruction in the keys, you can find real instruction by the bucketfull, too. Key largo or Islamorada? If Key Largo, your options are endless, but I'd specifically ask Mselenaous right here on ScubaBoard. I was taught my rescue course long before I knew her, but she seems right uptown, and will work your butt off. In Islamorada, see Capt Gary at CRD. He'll set you up with one of his instructors (or if you are lucky, you'll get Capt Gary himself as your rescue dummy) and you'll work your butt off there, too. I'd be very surprised to find an instructor who will blow off your rescue like they will AOW. We all know that AOW courses are BS, and Rescue is the most important course you will ever take.

In Islamorada, see Capt Gary at CRD. He'll set you up with one of his instructors (or if you are lucky, you'll get Capt Gary himself as your rescue dummy) and you'll work your butt off there, too. .

Great comments Wookie and nice use of the dummy remark....LOL

Wookie is correct, the Rescue course is the start of real training. Not saying the other previous certs are not any good, it's just that with the Rescue class you start learning how to take care of someone else should they get in trouble. I enjoyed that class many years ago too and yes you will work hard, but it all good. Whomever you use for you instruction have fun, ask a bunch of questions, and pay attention....your training could help save someones life someday.
If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask......even if you don't dive with me. :cool2:

Good Diving,

Conch Republic and Capt Gary are located in Taverier if I remember correctly, about ten miles north of Islamorada. Key Dives, at about the 80 mile mark at Islamorada, is a good outfit to do certs with.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad there's somewhere warm with quality instruction! I'll be doing some more research and trying to convince (i.e. begging) my girlfriend that a trip down to the Keys is viable.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad there's somewhere warm with quality instruction! I'll be doing some more research and trying to convince (i.e. begging) my girlfriend that a trip down to the Keys is viable.
If she doesn't dive, tell her that there are beaches, and if that doesn't do the trick, margaritas. If that doesn't work, play Jimmy Buffet's "The Weather is Here" and see if she gets the hint. If she doesn't, there are ten thousand hot women in the keys who already dive....

LOL, she is certified but barely dives, mostly out of being uncomfortable in the water. I'm planning on using the "it'll make me a better diver and buddy" argument.

All of those instructor previously mentioned including the great folks at Key Dives can help her to feel more comfortable in the water. That will give her something to do while you are busy. And you will be busy for 3-5 days.

Wookie always has great advice! I remember when I needed a quality op in Key West and he was right on the money with the pick. Thanks again!

If she doesn't dive, tell her that there are beaches, and if that doesn't do the trick, margaritas. If that doesn't work, play Jimmy Buffet's "The Weather is Here" and see if she gets the hint. If she doesn't, there are ten thousand hot women in the keys who already dive....

Im on the wrong island......think I need to go down to Key West with Wookie. The only thing we have ten thousand of on Key Largo is mosquitoes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom