Quarry Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quarry with cold water and low viz . . . and they gave you a refund because it wasn't tropical? I don't get it? I'd take Lake Rawlings OR Millbrook Quarry over a sharp stick in the eye any day. If Santa is good to me, I'll be testing a new dry suit in Millbrook this weekend--and 90 degree heat be damned!

cold quarries are a great way to beat the summer heat!

O-ring,
That quarry was Williow Spring Park in Myerstown PA. There's better quarries around, but it's wet, the owner's pretty cool and every thursday night the unusualls go the usual place and do the usual thing. Ah, the mudslides weren't as dramatic as it sounds, but there was a brown ring around the banks of the quarry.

Is Rawlings still %@#*! cold below the thermocline?

We never made it that deep since we wanted to work on skills and avoid the cold...it was around 72 degrees where we were (30 feet and above). I bet it still knocks your socks off when you hit 40-50 though..:D Herman, you shoulda been there...Tommy and I had line running around the rock, through Wayne (the bus), back around the sunken tree...you get the idea...:eek:ut:

Millbrook was a cold @#!@& though....my computer showed 54 degrees at 86'...(that was last Saturday).

Just wait until you see the wonderful 5-6 ft vis at Rolesville quarry during the DIR class.

I am practicing for that at Millbrook...we had about 5'-10' both days and I only managed to lose a buddy once (and a mask) :( ..obviously I have some work to do between now and then..

...that I hate you...:D

I love Rawlings - I just wish it was half the distance it is from DC.

The viz is excellent - there's lots to see in the lake and the team who run it are friendly and helpful. Add to that the ability to camp, the air fills and the deals they do on multi-visit passes and it's the best deal around my area.

It's nice to dream about a trip to Mexico, Belize or somewhere warm and salty though.

MN

Just got back last night from my open water at mermet springs.
Temp and vis was great 20-30 feet . Was great until other divers
disturbed the bottom then vis went to around 10-15 feet. I really like the platforms they have for training . I plan to go back soon
maybe this time i'll have more time to enjoy things . Open water went great .cant wait to go back.

For those who really care - Lake Rawlings surface temperature over the 4th of July weekend was 85 degrees. The thermocline was at about 29 feet, but varied slightly depending on the area of the lake you were in. At 53 feet (the deepest my buddy would go without getting really upset about the cold water) the temp was 63 degrees. At bottom, I reckon you could probably knock another 5 or more off that.

The funny thing was that you could tell divers' intentions as they entered the water. Those with the full 6 and 7mm suits, hoods and gloves were obviously going deeper. Anyone less well dressed was probably stooging around on the shallows close to the north end.

Mike N

...we were at Millbrook this weekend and it was still chilly. At around 75' my computer was in the forties and I was ready to get the heck out of there (5mm).

I have taken the Rawlings "deep water tour" a few times, but never want to do it unless I am with someone who hasn't. There just isn't much to see out there and all the good stuff is in the shallow areas above 50'. We usually hang around the bus.

can someone show me if there a link on the net to either curelean or marthias quarey as i am looking for a good place to do some diving other than the sea thanks joe

Back
Top Bottom