Queen of the North Sinks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since it rests at 360 meters...don't think we'll be diving it soon.

bwerb:
Since it rests at 360 meters...don't think we'll be diving it soon.
Where did you find that info?

The National and local news tonight...two separate reports placed it at 360 meters/1500+ feet.

Great report. but how did the ferry manage to hit a "rock"?? and still end up in 1500' of water? was the wind that bad that they blew off course?? glad that all are rescued and safe. Going to be a big cleanup with all of the fuels etc.

I heard the news early this morning. What is even harder to believe is were no casualties. I think that speaks volumes about the crew's performance.

I'd like to get my hands on a chart of the area to see what it looks like. For anyone who doesn't know where the vessel sank, the general coordinates are 53°20N 129°15W. If you look to the north of the L shaped channel you can see a dock - presumably Hartley Bay.

At that depth I suppose you would need a saturation chamber to dive it. I guess that brings a new meaning to the term liveaboard.

Unfortunately, it now appears that there are two casualties.

Two people have yet to be accounted for and the president of BC Ferries, Davie Hahn, just announced that he fears that they most likely were onboard when it sank. Everyone is still hoping that they will show-up but earlier reports of their sighting have not been substantiated and they have not shown up at their destination, nor have they made contact with any of their family whom they were to meet.

Not looking good...

Les, you dive in N.Van...you know our underwater topography, it is easy to hit a rock and drop to oblivion...look at Whytecliffe park, hit the islet and you'll still sink to 1500 feet.

Les:
Great report. but how did the ferry manage to hit a "rock"?? and still end up in 1500' of water?

According to the news it took over an hour for the ferry to sink. That is a lot of time for current and/or wind to push the ferry into deeper water.

Bryan

wedivebc:
Just saw this on the news. I can't believe it!
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/03/22/1499867-cp.html

Ferry sinks off B.C. coast

VANCOUVER (CP) - Rescuers plucked dozens of people from lifeboats off B.C.'s Queen Charlotte Islands early Wednesday after a large ferry hit a rock and sank in choppy seas and high winds.

All of the 101 people aboard were rescued and accounted for, B.C. Ferries said in a statement released several hours after the incident.

Most of them were taken to a ....snip....

I always loved that boat. I thought she was the best looking ferry in the BC fleet. It's a shame she's gone but i'm happy that nobody was hurt.....

I only hope she didn't sink in deep water. :14: Her new roll as a Mecca for the BC wreck diving hard-core will ensure that even if she is lost, she will not be forgotten.....

R..

...looks like you missed reading the thread a bit...depth is way too deep for diving...up to 1500 feet and looks like two went down with the ship.

Back
Top Bottom