Queen of the North Sinks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Globe and Mail:
A three-hour mini sub dive located the Queen of the North intact in about 420 metres of water. The vessel was found resting on its keel.

If only that said 42 instead of 420...

Here is a chart of the area.

I had heard that the ferry hit and got stuck on Gill Rock before going down. I marked Gill Rock with an arrow. Depth is in fathoms.

It looks to me like it came out of the narrows and instead of turning continued on its course running down the east of Gill Island close to shore before hitting Gill Rock. We'll have to wait for the official report to find out for sure.

Ferry.jpg

Wright%20Sound.jpg

Interesting comment on the news. Transport Canada has ruled out mechanical failure. How could they have ruled out mechanical failure without seeing the boat. (This was before the pictures from the sub) Leads one to believe that the crew interviews told them exactly what went wrong, but they won't/can't release the cause it until they have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Appropriately so IMHO.

Too bad, sounds like someone had a really big oops.

Weird... I've been on that boat countless times. Used to live in Prince Rupert. My father was a doctor there and knows pretty much all the guys on the coast guard crews around there. From what I hear, the autopilot was left on (AKA someone probably fell asleep or something) and the boat hit the rocks at 19 knots, kind of "bounced" backwards as it was sinking. Guess we'll see what really happened eventually though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom