Question about Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures courses...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick question or two: What are the prerequisites and equipment requirements to take Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures? I apologize if it's posted online somewhere; I Googled it but couldn't find anything specific. Finally, how much do these courses generally cost? I'm guessing that each instructor charges what they feel is appropriate, but is there a general ballpark figure?

Thanks so much for your time!

Rita (aka Bamamedic)

I can't give an agency specific answer.

When I took TDI advanced nitrox and deco procedures the instructor required either a large single with an H valve or doubles plus a 30 or 40 cu ft deco bottle. Everyone in the class however had doubles. A lift bag in the 50-100 lb range wa also required as was a suitable reel. An adequate light that could be used similar to a light with a goodman handle was also required due to the darkness in 150' of fresh water. A cannister light was not required, but everyone had one.

Cost wise I think I paid around $350 to $400 for the combination of the two classes but it has been awhile.

When checking around at the time I found other instructors with a long list of very brand and model specific eqiuipment that was required - that of course they also sold. Those were obviously not agency required items.

Just a quick question or two: What are the prerequisites and equipment requirements to take Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures? I apologize if it's posted online somewhere; I Googled it but couldn't find anything specific. Finally, how much do these courses generally cost? I'm guessing that each instructor charges what they feel is appropriate, but is there a general ballpark figure?

Thanks so much for your time!

Rita (aka Bamamedic)

For the combined courses our minimum prerequisites are: 18 years or older, Advanced Adventure cert or equivalent, TDI Nitrox or equivalent, 25 logged dives.

However, you will find various instructors set somewhat higher entry requirements. As an example, I require proof of 100 logged dives at least and certification as either SDI solo diver or Intro to Tech.

The equipment requirements in standards essentially state cylinders with volume appropriate for student and planned dives and cylinder(s) for decompression mix(es), regulators with spgs, slate or underwater notebook, ascent reel and DSMB. Once again though you will find variation while meeting or exceeding these standards since we have instructors teaching in a variety of conditions in countries around the world.

Most often, but not exclusively, in North America, students do well on this program using manifolded doubles and a 6 litre or 40 cubic foot decompression cylinder.

Prices will vary according to the instructor's experience, their business model and so on. An example once again, my fees for this course are $850. When I run this program it normally requires six very full days to complete and a minimum of eight... but usually more... dives.

Hope this answers your questions. Good luck with your training.

I am getting ready to do TDI Adv. Nitrox and deco the 12-13. List of gear has pretty much been listed. Price, $850 for 6 days of diving.
Also check with the instructor if they knock of some for doing a intro to tech class with them. I have heard of several that do this. It also isn't a bad idea to at least consider the intro class. I know it helped me out just in general and hopefully will help with my upcoming class.

NAUI tech course I'm taking in the fall will be 690 plus fills and boat fees if that's the dives we do. We have the option of going to 40 fathom grotto for them as well. Prereqs are Nitrox of course, intro to tech and heliotrox at the shop I'm with and the Instructor likes people to have a minimum of 100 dives including cold water, drysuit(some of our dives will be in Lake Erie), and at least a few in the 150 range. Total of 10-12 dives with depths to 165 ft. If combined with heliair, depth goes to 180.

I require candidates to have a minimum of 100 dives with experience in drysuits and Great Lakes shipwreck diving. Divers do the course in doubles with one stage bottle of at least 40 CF, lift bags, reels and canister lights. I charge $500 tuition but there are additional costs for the charter trips. All dives are made from my boat, Enterprise, on Lake Michigan.

I've been speaking to Dive Tec on Grand Cayman. I have 65 dives, PADI Master Scuba, and PADI Nitrox. They are ok letting me take the course. Cost is about 650$ plus rental of equipment and all fills [total around 1,000] . I own a single tank tech setup (exp suit, mask, fins, reg, BP/W), plus a propper light. The nice thing about their program is that I don't have to buy very much. If I end up hating doubles and Deco diving, then I've gotten knowledge but am not obligated to spend two grand on manifolds, another reg & spg, an 02 deco reg and spg, and a doubles bladder.

Back
Top Bottom