Question about air integrated computers and backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bureau13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking down the road a bit, I will probably get a computer of some sort (I know...talk about behind the times!) and it seems that you can now find air integrated computers for a somewhat reasonable price. I don't think I like the idea of hoseless air integration, since I'm kind of paranoid about reliability, but I can see using one on a console. However, my paranoia doesn't go away that easily....anything with programming or complex electrical circuitry strikes me as a failure point that should have backup, preferably of the tried and true mechanical variety. So...for those of you using air-integrated computers attached by hose...do you have a backup pressure gauge, and if so, how does it attach? Do you use a second HP hose (my reg does have 2 HP ports) and put it on a retractor or something? My watch can handle backup depth and timer functions, its just the tank pressure I'm concerned about. Someone should really make a computer console with a backup pressure gauge on the back side, but I've never seen one like that.

jds

I have an AI computer and I do not have a backup pressure gauge. I went AI consolidate gear. I don't like diving with stuff I don't need. I also went with a Zeagle Octo-Z which combines a backup 2nd stage with the BC's power inflator. This let me eliminate another hose from my reg.

If my computer fails during the dive, I'll just head up and switch to my backup reg for the rest of the trip.

-Charles

Air information is not something you need to safely end a dive. If the computer dies or the pressure sensor malfunctions, just end the dive at that point and you will be fine. I've seen some people with hoseless air integrated computers dive with backup gauges, but almost never anyone with a non-hoseless AI computer.
It's also a pretty rare occurrence, and SPG's fail too, in various ways.

I'd say just keep a spare SPG in your save a dive kit so you can do the next dive if the computer fails. (You will also need watch/tables or a backup computer to do this though, as usually a failure means it's the whole computer.)

charlesml3:
If my computer fails during the dive, I'll just head up and switch to my backup reg for the rest of the trip.

I totally agree that if your AI computer fails, you head up immediately. You should know about how much air you have 'cause you're checking every few minutes-right!!

So just do a normal ascent with safety stop.

I'm also a little paranoid about reliability so I carry a second non-AI computer (Cochran) on my wrist. And my main AI computer has failed underwater, but it was during the safety. Some water got into the battery compartment and shorted it.

Well, I guess that I'm one of the rare individuals that dive with both an AI computer AND an SPG.

While it is true that you CAN end the dive if your AI computer dies, the question is "WHY should I have to end the dive?" Case in point, if you are diving someplace like Chuuk or Palau or Hawaii or wherever, I want to dive it!

What I did is attach just a single SPG to a short HP 30" hose and clip it off to a D-Ring on my left side. It only cost me about 70 bucks to do this, and yes, the odds of a computer going bad is low, remember that Mr. Murphy is still alive and well....

Hope this helps you, and safe diving!

Randy

I have 2 dive computers with me at all times.. I use an air-intergrated Suunto cobra on my left side and an Oceanic dataplus 2 on my wrist.. If for some reason my Suunto goes out and I cant tell tank pressure then its time to head up and abort the dive..

With the wrist unit also I can tell my ascent speed so ill still be able to make a safe accent..
Im thinking that sometime in the near future I might mount a SPG on my left bc harness right near my power inflator just incase my air-intergrated does go out on a dive..

If the first stage fails all fails. If you are thinking money or lack of it. Ask your self this. Just a computer that gives you the info you need. Ares X2 or Oceanic vro 250 not that I think they are the best or anything. Most of the divers I know have them. You see if you where diving tech $500 computer is nothing. Try mix diving, a fell with 2 LP are $100. Ask your self am I going to the moon or on a dive.
The more you have the more that can go wrong.
If you need back up and back up for back up. You just need better.
I am like the post starter. Keep it simply.

Skeeter1097:
If the first stage fails all fails. If you are thinking money or lack of it. Ask your self this. Just a computer that gives you the info you need. Ares X2 or Oceanic vro 250 not that I think they are the best or anything. Most of the divers I know have them. You see if you where diving tech $500 computer is nothing. Try mix diving, a fell with 2 LP are $100. Ask your self am I going to the moon or on a dive.
The more you have the more that can go wrong.
If you need back up and back up for back up. You just need better.
I am like the post starter. Keep it simply.

I too am like the OP... I like to keep it simple. That is why I have 1 AI computer, and 1 SPG. I just don't like the idea of having to stop a dive because I don't have an idea of how much air I have. That is also the reason that I have a watch on, and my tables are in the dive bag on the boat.

Randy

ScubaRandy:
Well, I guess that I'm one of the rare individuals that dive with both an AI computer AND an SPG.

While it is true that you CAN end the dive if your AI computer dies, the question is "WHY should I have to end the dive?" Case in point, if you are diving someplace like Chuuk or Palau or Hawaii or wherever, I want to dive it!

What I did is attach just a single SPG to a short HP 30" hose and clip it off to a D-Ring on my left side. It only cost me about 70 bucks to do this, and yes, the odds of a computer going bad is low, remember that Mr. Murphy is still alive and well....

Hope this helps you, and safe diving!

Randy
You're hardly the only one. This is a fairly common question, as a search will reveal, and other threads have shown a lot of people use an SPG as a backup in combination with their wireless AI computers.

I use wireless AI computer, plus an analog SPG on a short 24" hose, clipped off to my left waist d-ring. I consult it from time to time for practice, because once I go tech I may not always have my wireless with me.

I dive with an Oceanic VT-Pro. I like the wireless operation and I like the AI for the information that I can download later and also for the dive profiles that the software generates.

But I also dive with a redundant SPG.

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

IF and I mean "IF" you plan your dive and your computer craps out, as long as you have a depth gauge, SPG and time piece, you can continue your dive "IF" you have not exceeded youn NDL based upon your dive plan.

A computer helps you dive longer, not better. It's just another tool.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom