Question about certification level needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As First Mate you should not be diving at all. But, as you know, many of the crew on Caribbean yachts are dive instructors.

Call Hall's Diving in Marathon, Florida - they offer instructor classes...

Unfortunately, yes.
Thats no more than SDI require for someone to take that solo diver cert :eek:

Thats no more than SDI require for someone to take that solo diver cert :eek:

IMO, solo diving is very different from teaching others to dive....at least then, it's only one person in danger (assuming they are not ready to solo dive at that point), instead of one person putting himself and others in danger.

At 100 dives, you're just learning (some of) the things you didn't know from the start....and probably haven't faced all that many "challenges" that would give you true experience. I know I have absolutely no business teaching anyone anything at this point in my diving (just over 100 dives) because I'm still learning what I need to know to keep me and my buddies safe.

Are you serious about the 100 for an instructor??....Not being around a lot of classes lately I do remember when it was 125 dives for a DM------no wonder so many can't dive---they're being taught by ignorant instructors.....That is Pa--Thetic in my book...

100 for an instrcutor is at least better than PADI's 20 for DM is down to 20 ... granted you need 60 to graduate, but you can still be assisting with courses and influencing others during the "internship" phase witharoun 20 dives, it's crazy. But I guess when you make money from people taking the "DM" course you don't want it to be too hard to get into.

Using a strictly legal interpretation... anyone in the United States can teach anyone else to dive. There are no legal requirements at all requiring the educator to be an Instructor. That is both the ignorance and bliss of keeping government out of the sport.

If all the kids are ever going to do is dive from daddy's yacht - their golden.

Is this prudent, smart or safe? It depends whose teaching them. In this case it is none of the above... however if my good friend of 30 years with more than 7500 dives and no certification taught them - I'd have great confidence they'd turn out just fine.

It just never seems to baffle me how little something as simple as common sense is used in todays society... My world has changed around me in the past twenty years - and we can't call it progress.

The problem with common sense is that its not so common..

I don't want to pile on here, but this is sort of stunning. This guy who apparently can afford to sail around the Caribbean with a crewed boat believes...what?...that because he is rich his children can come to no harm? That may be the most arrogant thing I have ever heard.

To answer the OP's question, there are places you can learn to dive and go right through to instructor in a few months. For most of us, becoming an instructor took years, because it was a more organic process.

From a completely practical perspective, if you are interested in becoming an instructor solely to get this job, which involves teaching children I doubt you would be a very good instructor (nothing personal).

Almost every instructor I know decided to teach because he or she has a great love for diving and wants to pass the majesty and magic of being underwater along to others.

Do yourself a favor, either turn down the job or get them to change the requirements. Someone suggested taking your OW along with the kids so everyone gets certified is fine --although I would not allow my children to dive with another new diver.

Jeff

Guys like him usually hire guys like me to teach their kids, when we are willing to do so (and often crew, so the kids have dependable, similarly skilled buddies).

Good morning, I just joined this forum and have a very specific question about what level of cert I need and how quickly I could attain this level.

The situation:
I work in the private yacht crew industry. A past captain I worked for is taking on a new boat and wants me as First Mate. The owner doesn't care who he hires as long as that person can teach his children how to dive and to take the family diving as they travel around the Caribbean.

So my question is do I need to get my instructor certification or can I do this type of stuff with just Divemaster or some other level?

How long will it take to get the required level of certification. I currently have no dive cert. ( I have taken a resort course, and have used scuba gear quite a bit to clean the bottom of the yachts I've worked on in the past, which of course means nothing.)

Thanks!
Kevin

Hello Kevin ...

As others have stated, this isn't something you can attain quickly ... and the quickest methods are both expensive and somewhat risky.

You need to be an instructor to certify people. Furthermore, if you're planning to teach kids, you should really be an EXPERIENCED instructor, because kids have a tendency to do off-the-wall things that adults would never attempt. There is a lot of additional responsibility involved when teaching children how to dive. Therefore you need not just the teaching skills, but enough experience to have ... as the saying goes ... "grown eyes in the back of your head" to anticipate and prevent them from doing foolish things that would cause them harm. Kids can be fun to teach but the responsibility is daunting, and not to be taken lightly. A "quickie" route to instructor level isn't something I'd contemplate as a safe way to approach it.

Furthermore, have you considered the expense and liability issies? Dive instructors are required to carry liability insurance for a reason. The insurance runs about $650 a year ... and that will be on top of the costs of courses you will need to take and membership dues to the certifying agency. You should expect to spend ... at a minimum ... about $5,000 to reach instructor level. And that doesn't include the cost of gear and teaching props that you will need to buy. Unless you can afford to do this at a loss (or your client is willing to pay you very well), you will not make enough money to cover the costs of the certification. So make sure you're willing to do this for the right reasons.

FWIW - I've worked with a few of the "zero-to-hero" scuba instructors, and I don't think highly of that approach. Sure, you'll learn all the requisite skills (although mostly you'll learn how to perform them while kneeling on the bottom, which isn't how one scuba dives) ... and you'll learn all the requisite academics. But what you'll be missing is the experience needed to develop the "intangible" skills needed to be a responsible dive instructor. Those include the ability to maintain an awareness of what's going on around you while you're busy doing something (a necessary skill if you're teaching more than one student at a time), and the ability to anticipate problems and head them off before they become a bigger problem (a necessary skill anytime you're in the water with someone who's learning how to dive because they tend to do unpredictable things).

I can appreciate that this looks like a wonderful opportunity ... but the reality is that becoming a dive instructor is an expensive proposition ... and while you can become an instructor in just a few months, if you want to be a GOOD instructor, you should be a diver first ... develop all your in-water skills ... and THEN begin your DM and instructor training.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom