question about deep dive / narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have a vision of narcosis as making you feel as though you are drunk. Generally, it doesn't. It just makes you dull, and makes you think slower.

I have piled up a whole bunch of data points, where I have made serious errors in awareness or judgment while cave diving in the 100 foot range. On none of those dives did I feel drunk or stupid -- I just WAS. If I'm asked to do something that I know how to do, and can focus my attention on it, I can do it just fine. But when there is information in my environment that I need to perceive to be safe, I may completely miss it.

Narcosis is subtle and very dangerous. And you will have just as much of it on Nitrox as on air, so there is no point to your request to do a deep air dive.

I think you have a vision of narcosis as making you feel as though you are drunk. Generally, it doesn't. It just makes you dull, and makes you think slower.

I have piled up a whole bunch of data points, where I have made serious errors in awareness or judgment while cave diving in the 100 foot range. On none of those dives did I feel drunk or stupid -- I just WAS. If I'm asked to do something that I know how to do, and can focus my attention on it, I can do it just fine. But when there is information in my environment that I need to perceive to be safe, I may completely miss it.

Narcosis is subtle and very dangerous. And you will have just as much of it on Nitrox as on air, so there is no point to your request to do a deep air dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom