Question about dry suit leg squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! Sound advice

As above, you can’t get the squeeze off without something between you and the suit.

Curious, I have an upper and lower long length ultra warm base layer under garment. I have not worn these yet because of humid pool conditions.

I may have only more pool session before moving to open water to complete OWC. There is a possibility I will have to wait until May due to cold water temperature. Personally I do not feel cold temperatures should deter certification as I am equipped to dive in cold water.

Curious, I have an upper and lower long length ultra warm base layer under garment. I have not worn these yet because of humid pool conditions.

I may have only more pool session before moving to open water to complete OWC. There is a possibility I will have to wait until May due to cold water temperature. Personally I do not feel cold temperatures should deter certification as I am equipped to dive in cold water.
Right. That’s…kind of the point of a drysuit. Your dive shop and instructor seem strange. I bet if you didn’t pay in advance you’d be out there in the water.

I find the older I get the more I need a made to measure dry suit. Especially in the leg length, if it’s to long a fold will come below the knee and squeeze. You can ease it using air or under garments but if you do you’ll need heavy fins to counter it. Can you have the legs altered to suit? Use braces to keep it in place also.

1641227838747.png
Even in a deep sea rig, leg squeeze never goes away when you are vertical in the water column. You get used to it in any drysuit.

The only way to get more gas into your drysuit legs is to inflate the suit enough to make the upper half of the suit noticeably over-inflated (see image below). Virtually all the pressure differential goes away when you are horizontal.

Deep sea suits, which are pretty baggy and have no stretch, can be inflated for lifting heavy objects... like 200 Lbs/90Kg. This is on top of the weighted shoes, belts, and helmet that weighs about 170 Lb/77 Kg range.

Trust me, this is not how you want to reduce leg squeeze.

OverInflatedUnisuit.png
This image shows an overinflated drysuit. Note how the arms are extended by the slight pressure in the suit. It is very difficult to pull arms toward the torso — much like a space suit.

Pressure in the suit would have to be even higher to eliminate leg squeeze when vertical.

Do you have a thin polypro base layer from outdoor activities? No cotton!

I’ve been in a 80F pool with my thick fleece undersuit to tweak weighting. Sucks, but sometimes you gotta do it. I only made it 30 minutes, though. I can’t stand being hot.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still issues with a dry suit squeeze in both legs. I tried inflating DS, but the air did not go into dry suit legs. I tried to circulate from upper body to legs with head down and legs up, but even that did not work.
Someone mentioned having proper trim will help ease DS squeeze, but the squeeze may not occur right away, making it difficult to change trim. What are methods to circulate air into legs of trilam dry suit?

Back
Top Bottom