Question about my new steel tank (new to me).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a steel 72 I bought new in 1972.. I dived it for 8 years and then took a break from diving and restarted in 1997. I decided to have the cylinder checked out in 2004. They could not service the J valve and I bought a used K valve. The tank lost it's + rating so could only be filled to 2250 psi, about 65 cu ft. I dived it for a while with overfills but then quit using it. I still have it but have not used in in many years

I have a steel 72 I bought new in 1972.. I dived it for 8 years and then took a break from diving and restarted in 1997. I decided to have the cylinder checked out in 2004. They could not service the J valve and I bought a used K valve. The tank lost it's + rating so could only be filled to 2250 psi, about 65 cu ft. I still have it but have not used in in many years

Was the J valve a Scubapro adjustable reserve with built in gage?

...@carobinsoniv I just put a 50+year old Jvavle back in service didn't require a thing servicing valves IMO is waste of money.

On the other side, for my tanks that were hydro tested last year, the valves looked great from the outside but the seats were in bad shape. The tanks were given to me but I am guessing the valves were 11+ years old.

As promised, 1/2 inch straight thread vs. 3/4 inch straight thread for comparisons;
20200131_161317.jpg 20200131_161325.jpg 20200131_161331.jpg
Let me know what you have... Either way I might be interested in taking the J valve off your hands!
Respectfully
James

On the other side, for my tanks that were hydro tested last year, the valves looked great from the outside but the seats were in bad shape. The tanks were given to me but I am guessing the valves were 11+ years old.

Do you open your valves all the way without backing off a bit? That'll wear the seat for sure.

I would not breathe it unless you can test the O2 content and maybe also check for CO. You don't know where it was last filled, it could have been a gas driven compressor with minimal filtration in someone's garage. It will be fine to tune your regs with.

thanks everyone.

James, Thanks. I will measure it in a while and post. This weekends, I will get on my feet and do the tuning, then take it off so you can see it in detail

grf88,
I will do that.

Thanks.

I've only bought 1 new valve (to swap in while I rebuilt the valve on my first 72). I'm now in the middle of rebuilding my first j valve. So far out of 4 valves all seats were re usable, but all O rings were in various states of decay. Rebuilding them I believe to be well worth it!
Respectfully
James

This tank measured 28.5" from tip top bottom of tank to the top of the neck/tank, not measuring the valve.
So the valve James posted above can take both DIN or Yoke? Great.
Thanks carobinsoniv

Well,I guess it holds at least 72cf of air. I thought most of the 72s were fairly standard but I will rely on someone with more knowledge than me. I did find an old Healthways Scuba brochure on EBay and it looked like they only had a 72 and yellow like yours.

And yes on the valve taking DIN and yoke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom