Question about Nitrox certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just joined a volunteer fire station and a ton of the other volunteers are all divers, so I might be able to dive around here with them. I'm not crazy about cold water I was only used to it when I was a competitive swimmer. Trust me warm water will spoil you.

The NAUI EANx is taught as a certification course (with the dives) and as a recognition program (without the dives). Upon successful completion of the course or program, graduates are considered competent to utilize EANx (up to EAN40) in open water diving activities without direct supervision, provided the diving activities and the areas dived approximate those of training.

What does that mean in plain English. Do both certification and recognition get the diver the same access to nitrox fills?

Maybe PADI will not be so ambiguous.

What does that mean in plain English. Do both certification and recognition get the diver the same access to nitrox fills?

Maybe PADI will not be so ambiguous.

I'll dumb it down for you - yes.

Well I just joined a volunteer fire station and a ton of the other volunteers are all divers, so I might be able to dive around here with them. I'm not crazy about cold water I was only used to it when I was a competitive swimmer. Trust me warm water will spoil you.

Compared to the lakes, the St. Lawrence is like bath water. Because of the flow, the water never stratifies into thermoclines.

The cert does not matter. Any of the agencies teach you the same basic stuff and the dives don't gain you anything. You can read everything you need to know. That's why TDI / Padi don't require the dives.

What does matter in being competent in analyzing your gas. 99.9% of nitrox diving is just being 100% confident of what is in your tank. Its not brain surgery. The trick is there are multiple brands of analyzers out there, multiple ways to connect them and other small differences. The certifying instructor will show you how to use his setup and let you practice. What you find in the dive boat may be slightly different and throw you into a trust me situation. Make an effort to use as many different analyzers as possible, ask when you don't know (The DM's will show you IF you don't wait to the last minute to ask when everyone is gearing up) and always do you own calibration + analysis. If you not comfortable with user the boat analyzer, buy your own.

SDI and NAUI do not require dives either, although, as I understand the SDI course is computer based. The TDI and NAUI courses utilize tables, formulas and charts, I imagine the PADI course is similar. I would appreciate more details in this area.

However, I would add that the dives do have merit, especially when it is possible to exceed the MOD of the gas. Having the discipline to pay attention to and adhere to your MOD is important. In areas when I can't really drop too deep, perhaps in 60ffw in my local training lake I carry along a spare computer set on "air", then periodically compare that computer to others set for the gas we are breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom