question about shipwrecks around Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi been busy so i have not been in here for some time.
My wife and I stayed at Reef House Resort last year to try them out, and we dove along the south side, but much further East than we had ever dove before. Down there at the South East end is a large bay, I don't recall the name but I remember two small islands called the cow and calf. there were also some old stone walls that dated back to the pirate days I was told. When I retruned to the airport we did a stop at a shop that had some maps that looked old, but I am sure they are either reproductions or just plain bogus made up maps. I attempted to buy the maps, but they only would make copies, and it was ery expensive, and we didn't have the time to get the copies made anyhow. On this map though, it indicated that were numerous very old shipwrecks in and around that bay, it even showed cannon enplacements on the islands and the shore line. This info merged with what I had been told earlier by our divemaster, about a big battle waged there many years ago between pirates, and the english. My question is, is there really a bunch of old gallions down there? And if they are there, what is left to see? I am very curious to dive on that area and see for myself. Anyone got any info?

Nothing ancient that I have ever seen.

Most of the early history occured down East on the South side in and around Old Port Royal. "Major battles" may have included canonades and/or yelling insults. With the proclivity for storytelling, the yarns can be expansive.

Near "Cow and Calf" which is a good snorkel and my idea of a place to put a house (just a matter of a couple three I-Beams) are the interesting "known" dives of Hole in the Wall and Fort Key Wall. There are also other numerous seldom dived overhead environments out that way.

You may have also seen two shrimpers (small 65' vessels or the remnants thereof) not far offshore in shallow water. In many of the bays and inlets also lie rusting remains of modern boats.

In the area of the Bay Islands, the sea does not offer much protection to the ancient wrecks. The walls begin near shore and drop off to 3000'+ real fast. This does not lend itself to preserving antiquities. There is an old wooden hull ((and still identifiable as such) the lies just West of FIBR in their intercoastal waterway area. Just offshore from there, you can spot bits of the recent depositing of the Isla Mia, a truly historic ship in the dive world.

Other stuff? There are two wrecks (in 8-15') that lie along the S shore road just E of the airport. The rest of the divable wrecks are man placed artificial reef environments, the Prince Albert is a favorite. The lure of a night dive is strong as the way is found to and from by the anchor chain laid out to your shore entry/exit.

The Mr. Bud in 45-65 fsw on the Side near French Key and the Aguilla nearer to AKR lying deep in 95fsw.

There have been stories of gold and discovery, laced with mystery, treachery and tales of intrigue as to recovery and discovery. But on this small island, if it happened over there and it was a secret... everybody will know the details by next Tuesday. Lots of fun research to be done, nevertheless, be sure to look at the small attached islands lying just E of Roatan: Morat, St Helena, Barbaretta and un named others. Gotta know some pirates cooled their heels there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom