Question about Specialty Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSmitty13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to the sport of Diving and just got my certification in March. Now I've started looking at taking some of the specialty courses. A couple weeks ago I signed up for the "Wreck Diving" specialty course. I paid $75 for the class, about $15 for the book, and $30 for the DVD. I understand the class and book fee but is it really necessary to pay $30 for a 15 minute DVD when all the same information is in the book? :confused: Do you have to buy the DVD?

I would check the webpage for requirements, but they appear to have gone German. Is this the end of SSI? Chances are its only required that you watch it, not own it. Call your instructor and ask.

Dear, mrsmitty13,

The purchase or non purchase of DVD's are set by individual stores. All dive stores have overhead and some increase class fees while others require the purchase of these items. If you feel that the cost of the DVD was to expensive talk to your instructor or dive store owner and let them know how you feel. Repeat customers are their life blood so I'm sure they will take it into consideration.

Frogman266

My local SSI shop will sell you the DVDs if you want to get them but they will also allow you to stop by the store sometime before the class and watch them. I even think they will allow you to borrow them if you are someone who has been in before for training.

In a perfect world the student would read the specialty manual, watch the audiovisual presentation and go through the interactive exercise on the audiovisual. Then answer the chapter review questions before class.

The audiovisual, textbook, chapter review exercises are part of a programmed learning system. Our store does not require you to purchase the audiovisual. We give you the opportunity to visit the classroom on your own time and watch the film or just show the film as part of the class. Many students wish to purchase the audiovisual to add to their personal library.

The more prepared you are before class, the more you will get out of it. The more you put into preparation and study the more you will learn hands down.

In class the instructor presents important topics and facilitates during a question and answer period based on questions about the audiovisual and book. Then they go over the chapter review exercises and answer questions before a short final exam.

This before class preparation, classroom presentation, verification of learning, pool exercises, and open water experience provides the optimum learning experience.

If you just can't justify spending the $30 for the audiovisual talk to your store manager and arrange to see it before class or simply ask your instructor to show it in class.

My local SSI shop will sell you the DVDs if you want to get them but they will also allow you to stop by the store sometime before the class and watch them. I even think they will allow you to borrow them if you are someone who has been in before for training.

I've found the DVD's are a good reinforcement for the reading material, but not required to pass the course. My LDS will also rent them (or loan them if they know you and you are a repeat customer) to the students.
Ken

Our store will let you 'check out' the DVD for a deposit fee that you then get back as a store credit after you return the DVD.... maybe you could make that proposal??

No just make sure you know the question at the end of the sections.

Many certifying agencies have studied the way that adults learn and have found that retention of information is accomplished best if there are four elements present in the learning process. Which entails the following process for best results.

1. Written work (text book)
2. Visual resource (video)
3. Lecture by professional (instructor)
4. Practical application of skills (pool or open water)

Hope this answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom