question about touching nudis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Well, maybe not the nudis but here's a great Mandarin Fish recipe for you...
And here's something else for the connoisseur of fine Chinese cuisine...

discrepancy:
And here's something else for the connoisseur of fine Chinese cuisine...

Hmmmm, I have some very good friends that are octupi molesters and I just keep my mouth shut and focus on people that want to spear at the artifical reef/wrecks who it just so happens, pointed out(in the Hawaii Ohana thread)a few minutes ago that "shooting fish in a barrel is more respectable than me buying my protein in little cellophane packages". If I am honest, I don't move anything when I am shooting pictures, if anyone is looking. When I am by myself...I slip, and sometimes I cannot help myself....I am a big phoney and I caught myself just the other day. Just the other day, I thought there was a Dragon Eel in this one place somebody had pointed out and when everybody left, I just could not stand it and I touched the coral and actually flipped some rubble out of my way. I am dead serious, I am not being sarcastic, I felt really guilty about it because I would never do that if someone was watching.

Never touch unless absolutely necessary? Most of the time I will not touch an animal and videotape it in the location I find it. However there are a number of critters that can be relocated (not miles away, very close by) without causing any trouble.

If I REALLY need to move a critter I weigh the value of the new position and resulting shot in terms of the educational value for my viewers vs any potential damage to the critter by touching it.

I was on a dive in Indonesia, and the divemaster found 2 nudibranchs of different species, so he moved one closer to the other so that I could have a nice "arrangement" to photograph. I wasn't too thrilled about this, especially when almost instantly one of the nudibranchs detected the other and started eating it! The divemaster was horrified and managed to pull them apart...There was a good reason these 2 nudis were not in close proximity to begin with, and should not have been moved just to get a good shot.

catherine96821:
When I am by myself...I slip, and sometimes I cannot help myself....
OK. Time for me to 'fess up as well. I found a huge, monster sea snail last week. Very pretty. There he was climbing up a rock - with head, feelers and bum extended (all moving in different directions). He was fairly racing up that rock at, well...a snail's pace. My buddy was photographing, and my hand, well, kinda moved of its own accord, and next thing the snail was on a nearby rock where things were more suitable for the happy snap.

Problem was the snail curled right up inside his shell, and with no foot to grip with, he rolled down his new rock a bit before I caught him. But, desperately remorseful as I was, we sat there watching over him for another 10 minutes until he came out again just to make sure the poor bugger was OK. No harm done. Prognosis? Full recovery.

Flame me, flog me, whatever. I'm no snail psychologist, but I suspect that snail went home and told an enthralling story to his snail kids about his narrow escape from the mother-of-all-tsunamis that hit him on the way home from work and washed him about the ocean floor like a cork.

Ahh confession time eh? Good...

When shooting super macro I flip every cucumber i see looking for shrimp...sometimes i even look in their butts for those crabs that live inside!

Betcha i haven't killed one of em yet...

But that Beche de Mer fishery does....

Do i feel guilty? nope!

Now then, why doesn't everyone head on over to the fishing and spearfishing section and tell them not to touch anything....:)

Mike Veitch:
Now then, why doesn't everyone head on over to the fishing and spearfishing section and tell them not to touch anything....:)
Great idea. Some fish-killers are not Cro-Magnon types, but to all of them I would like to suggest a new and exciting place to store their spears.

Diving on the same sites all the time, divers can get to know individual fish on first name terms, as it were. (Attached is a pic of my regular weekend mate, an Eastern Blue Groper named "Dopey", who is missing a piece of his neck, perhaps to a shark, or perhaps he had a lucky escape after a youthful entanglement with a fisherman's line.) In our club, everyone, every last soul, would be distraught if this guy were to be speared - he's one of us.

Spearo's see things differently. If their aim is good, the first time they meet a fish is also the last. So sad!!!

I could go on about this, but I will only finish up making a goose of myself, and spear-fishers are not going to change no matter how much we object. Nuff said.

P.S. I won't mention a word to anyone about the cucumber butt thing...promise!

Thanks for the belly laugh. I am feeling much better over here in this thread.

Nobody told them not to touch you.

Back
Top Bottom