question about touching nudis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clive francis:
i can't believe some of the comments or justifications for touching, there is no unless absolutely necessary, if you can't get the shot wait, there is always a next time, but not if you touch and kill it.

i can with hand on my heart say i have never moved a critter or animal once!

for those that have admitted to it you get zero respect from me, and was this not a fmaily site you would be called more than fools and idiots!!!!

Do you eat shrimp Clive? Any idea how many nudis are killed by the large dredges that scrape the bottom of the sea bed to get those shrimp for you?

I eat no seafood and have a very clear conscience about that...

Mike Veitch:
Ahh confession time eh? Good...

When shooting super macro I flip every cucumber i see looking for shrimp...sometimes i even look in their butts for those crabs that live inside!

Ever since I saw the book Silent Symphony, I have been looking at all cucumber butt as well but no luck so far :11:
And yes, I have been known to flip quite a few cucumbers etc in my time.

Never intentionally moved a nudi by hand before except once when it was just about to be crushed by someone else's fins.
However if a nudi is crawing on a loose piece of rock, I had been known to move those loose rocks around sometimes for better angle.

It is hard to draw the line once you start touching things but I guess I am not one of those strictly hand off and no touching photographer.

On Thailand, the issue becomes very sensitive. Around Similans, Richeliue, there are now a number of rabid DMs who took it upon themselves to police around, telling other people off when they are touching things all the while neglecting to look after their own herds of inexperienced divers who are floundering around kicking up every coral heads in their path.

Once at Richeliue, a little lady was holding on a rock during safety stop as current was quite strong and one of these DMs came around (she was not even on his boat) and signalled to her that she should only hold on the rock with 3 fingers only to minimize contact. She tried and promptly got blown away in the current.

I wonder if Mike would let me ride on a manta when I am in Yap :D

ssra30:
I wonder if Mike would let me ride on a manta when I am in Yap :D

Depends on whether you will be willing to eat it after.... :11: :10:

Mike Veitch:
Depends on whether you will be willing to eat it after.... :11: :10:

Nah, just want a quick ride, manta just does not look very appetizing :)

Mike Veitch:
Do you eat shrimp Clive? Any idea how many nudis are killed by the large dredges that scrape the bottom of the sea bed to get those shrimp for you?

I eat no seafood and have a very clear conscience about that...

yes i eat shrimp, and fish, but i dont go out catching them, killing or spearing them, but that is not what the thread is about, it is about touching and moving.

if you are happy to touch and move, then that is down to you but don't expect any respect from me

clive francis:
yes i eat shrimp, and fish, but i dont go out catching them, killing or spearing them, but that is not what the thread is about, it is about touching and moving.

if you are happy to touch and move, then that is down to you but don't expect any respect from me

I believe the bottom line of the thread is about the affect (such as killing) of disturbing marine life. Do i touch everything down there? No, i said i disturb sea cucumbers by looking in their butts....

And so yes, the fact you eat shrimp and fish does mean you affect marine life in a vary drastic way, much more so than i, even if its not you who does it yourself, you are paying someone to do it for you...

So don't expect any respect from me...

Do you respect spear fishermen and commercial fishermen who get your fish for you?

Interesting way to look at it isn't it? Its all about the big picture

To Mike V.--- I hope you are getting enough omega-3!

To Clive---Your pictures are really beautiful. What is your position on that baby Tiger being bottle fed?

umm, anal probing for shrimp?......nevermind.....don't ask don't tell....j/k

ohh, and good thing on avoiding seafood....too much mercury in the fish these days, yuck.

clive francis:
...if you are happy to touch and move, then that is down to you but don't expect any respect from me
Hey Clive, lighten up mate! The world won't stop spinning if somebody touches a fish or moves a rock every now and then.

The fact is we all go out of our way not to disturb the sea life. But let's use some common sense here. Sometimes it's OK.

As for the respect thing, I am perfectly comfortable about my underwater behaviour. Your respect is irrelevant.

clive francis:
for those that have admitted to it you get zero respect from me, and was this not a fmaily site you would be called more than fools and idiots!!!!

talk about the best online drama!dont take this personally clive but geez lighten up, smile and be happy:) think you got to much mercury in your shrimp or something. i myself had touched nudis inmy ignorant past i admit. looking back i wouldnt have done it. im older now and know better and even preach to fellow divers about NOT touching sea life.

as for not having your respect, doesnt mean anything to me sir. and as others have noted is totally irrelevant...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom