Question after watching "Openwater" and "USS Indianapolis"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the most telling bits of information into the nature of this type of question was provided by a videotape made by a diver that was left behind by a dive op. The woman survived, and the tape was widely circulated on the tv talk shows. What it showed was the minutes after she was left. When she realized she was alone, she floated on the surface, and her camera was still on. Below her, sharks are clearly visible, mostly just swimming along. As she became more excited (read that "panicked") you can her her screaming through her snorkle and crying. Immediately, the sharks began to move to the surface. That did nothing to calm her, I assure you. However, she did manage to calm herself with time, and she resolutely turned off the camera, trimmed her gear (she kept the camera, of course), and set off to swim against the current for the nearest shore. Several hours later she made it, and she was picked up by a search boat (I believe it was the next day).
My point is pretty obvious, and it's the same one many marine biologists make when they see the video. When she acted distressed and out of the ordinary, the sharks immediately began to check her out. She was exhibiting all the signs of being food. However, when she lined out and began swimming, even on the surface, she was doing what all the other sea life was doing---going somewhere and behaving with a purpose. The sharks then accepted her as part of the system and lost interest in her.
It's also noteworthy that in the case of the Indianapolis, the men were in the water for a long time. I don't know where I've read this, but I believe I remember seeing that there were no shark attacks for hours after the sinking. It wasn't until the men began to tire and become distressed that large numbers of sharks began moving in. As more and more men became victims and panic became high, there were more and more attacks.

I was solo hiking in the Bob Marshall of Montana. I rounded a turn in the trail, desne forest, much of the trail still covered with blowdown form the winter. Just as I stopped to wipe water funneling down my face from my soaked hat, I saw it, big enough to put both of my feet in, STILL FILLING WITH WATER!!!!, griz tracks!!!, came on to the trail from below, went about 100 feet and then cut up the hill. Darn bear was bushwhacking the switchbacks. Not good, obviously the bear was close. Surveying the area for a tree to climb I began to loosen my heavy pack, then I saw the griz clear the trail two switch backs above me, stop and look at me making eye contact. I was sure I was a goner. Well, the bear went on his way but the remainder of the day and through the night--alone in the moonless drenching night-- I felt the presence of that bear. I believe he paralled my course. All I had was my usual big knife. Fortuanetly I did not have to use it. Sharks, bears, mountain lions, when we are in their kitchen just make sure not to look to much like food.
Don't worry about it, die with your boots--uh--fins on and if it is your time get in some good licks. N

Had no problems with these bunch:

f9e69339.jpg

f9e692ce.jpg

Just be careful, later

f9e693ff.jpg

Out of 8,437,916 sharks polled in 2005;
8,437,901 said swimmers taste like chicken and didn't like divers.
15 said divers tasted like steel belted radials and they prefered chicken.

paulwall:
I recently watched "War of the Worlds" (The good, original one, not the terrible remake) and am concerned that the Martians will come down and destroy me in my home, or as I run away screaming.

I also recently saw "Hot Chick" and now am concerned that I will wake up as a teenage skank.

This is a bit of a harsh reply but extremely funny!

Open water is based on a true story, and that happened in Australia if I'm correct. The sharks in Australia (to my knowledge, limited as it is...) tend to cause more fatal injuries or "consume" the diver. I believe it's because there isn't enough food for them so they eat what they can.

The Navy attacks were in seriously "open water" and you had people with injuries, parts floating, etc. It was bad from the start, may as well have been chumming for them.

One of the things I've noticed when fishing for dolphin (mahi) is that the sharks only attack when the fish is acting stressed. If you keep the pressure on and the fish is fighting, you end up with a fish head on the end of your line. If you release the pressure when you see the shark approaching the fish and the fish goes back to swimming normally the sharks turns away, tighten up, the fish starts fighting, the sharks come back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom