Question for the SoFL experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be driving from Naples to Key Largo early in the AM. Anybody have any comments on driving 41 (the short route) vs 75 accross to the TPK? Mapquest says 41 is 2.5 hours and 138 miles, sound reasonable?:confused:

TIA

I've done it a few times. I don't know the exact distances but 2 things you need to remember: 1) It's a 2 lane road so, if ya get stuck behind someone who is going slow, remember to pass with care. 2) When you pass through the Indian Reservation, make SURE you do the speed limit.

The problem w/ 75 (Alligator Alley) is it puts you pretty far north; you would pick up the turnpike in Ft Lauderdale - you are better off on 41 as it gets you to Miami, further south.

The problem w/ 75 (Alligator Alley) is it puts you pretty far north; you would pick up the turnpike in Ft Lauderdale - you are better off on 41 as it gets you to Miami, further south.

If you took I-75 across, you'd want to take US27 down to the Turnpike (intersects in NW Dade county). That cuts 10 miles off that route and passes only four stop lights that all favor US27 traffic (Griffin Road, Johnson Street, Pines Blvd., and Krome Ave.).

Personally, I think it's a wash time-wise between the two routes. While US41 is a bit shorter, you'll have 10 miles of stop lights until you get past Port of the Islands and then another bunch of stop lights once you get past Krome Ave. on the Dade County side before you reach the TP.

And if you're doing this in the middle of the night, definitely take I-75/US27/Turnpike because a flat tire or breaking down on 41 would really suck at night. In the daytime, 41 is certainly more scenic and lets you see what Florida sorta used to be like way back when.

Wow, Brian! It's like you missed your calling as a historian tour guide and information center all wrapped into one... I never expected that... :cool2:

Wow, Brian! It's like you missed your calling as a historian tour guide and information center all wrapped into one... I never expected that... :cool2:

I can't help it, I'm a true Florida Cracker. :wink:

BTW, if you like to read, pick up The Swamp by Michael Grunwald, it'll change the way you look at our state.

My Statewide driving experience stopped in about 1996 but I concurr with Brian's route US 27 to the Turnpike is the way I'd go. I also like the Card sound bypass but others disagree.

If you do this route again,take the long slow route including card sound and enjoy the old Florida beaytu. Things you won't see in the future once all of it is developed.

41 is the way to go, but dkramer is 100% correct, do not speed in the reservation. Even cops get tickets in the reservation.

thanks everyone for the input....

I did the cardsound bypass last time I was down when we left town (stopped at Alabama Jacks for lunch) it was definately more scenic, especially with the construction on 1 right before Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom