Question for tropical divers: Gloves or no gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always have keep thin 2mm gloves in my pockets in case I need to use them to pull down or up a line. I wear them in advance if I know that currents are going to be strong - I don't normally hold on to stuff, but I like to have options when there's a downcurrent.

I don't use gloves unless I'm doing a cleanup dive.

I'm curious, how many tropical divers are like me and prefer to dive with a glove?
I guess it is an indirect answer to your question as worded, but I never wear gloves when recreationally diving in the Caribbean. In contrast, I always wear gloves when wreck diving off the NC coast.

As an aside, I was not aware of the 3M Comfort Work Gloves, until Andy posted. I think I will pick up a pair and try them off the coast.

Always wear gloves, am a photog, and still never touch what shouldn't be touched. Why gloves when I only drive tropical? Medical, and have laminated written prescription stating thus.

I have never worn gloves and never seen the need for me. This is fortunate as most of my diving has been in places where gloves are not legal (Cayman being one of them). I don't feel inclined to break the local laws, even if I am underwater - I wouldn't want to put a dive op into a difficult situation.

The only challenge I had was using the boat line, usually at safety stops but sometimes to ascend or descend. I used to hook my arm around the line, so that my suit protected me from anything that was on the line (fire coral, barnacles, etc.). I also invested in a Jon Line which has helped tremendously, especially on safety stops in current with a larger group, because everyone wants to hold on to the line and it can get crowded. As I keep the Jon line clean, I never have to hold on to the actual boat line for the safety stop. They are cheap, can easily be stowed, legal, and quite effective, in my experience. Why Should Scuba Divers a Bring a Jon Line - DIVE.in

I bought gloves after hanging on to a mooring line in the Keys during a safety stop. I had a nice rash on my palm that lasted for several days. (no dirty jokes, please) Since I bought them, I have not been to a place that would allow gloves.

No gloves rule is a stupid one . More damage is done from fins and equipment dangling, in general sloppy form.

I use gloves in case I face plant on the iron ore during shore dives and use them for sure on the entries. Sometimes you have to hold on to the bottom in the breaking waves to keep from getting slammed. The best way to protect the reefs is either to control your buoyancy or not dive at all. The rule makes zero sense.

The other stupid rule in Cayman is the one tank per diver. I guess they are trying to keep people from getting tanks to uncertified divers. My thought is, it is designed to discourage self diving and force people to the boat. $$$$$$

I bought gloves after hanging on to a mooring line in the Keys during a safety stop. I had a nice rash on my palm that lasted for several days. (no dirty jokes, please) Since I bought them, I have not been to a place that would allow gloves.

I like gloves for exactly that reason, if there is current and I want to use the mooring line to assist my safety stop. Since gloves are rarely allowed, I am now in the habit of stretching down the sleeve of my seaskin or rash guard to cover my hand. It usually works okay.

No gloves rule is a stupid one . More damage is done from fins and equipment dangling, in general sloppy form.

Well, with respect to Cayman, it's not a "rule", it's the law. Whether we think a particular law is stupid or not (in my opinion) doesn't give us the right to just ignore it. But I see enough divers out there who seem to "know better" that I'm not surprised that some will willfully break the law.

I would agree with you that a lot of damage is done by all of those things (and it should absolutely be a priority to encourage everyone to be aware of that and improve), but it is accidental - reaching out and touching coral or fish or whatever is a deliberate act.

I like gloves for exactly that reason, if there is current and I want to use the mooring line to assist my safety stop. Since gloves are rarely allowed, I am now in the habit of stretching down the sleeve of my seaskin or rash guard to cover my hand. It usually works okay.
Definitely look into getting a Jon Line, Kathy - got mine from Divers Supply - it wasn't expensive. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom