question for Zak Ohara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug B

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Zak,
I've got a Proton Ice V32 about a month ago. I added a Mares octo and a Oceanic computer... and put thirteen dives on the setup a few weeks ago.

All thru the diving, just as I hit 1000 PSI, the first stage would hum like a harmonica with every breath. Very annoying. Breathes fine, just this annoying and loud noise.

I took it to the LDS, who is authorized to work on Mares, and he said that there is really nothing he can do... it's the large spring in the first stage that's vibrating. He said he could take the thing apart flip the spring over, but it may or may not fix the harmonica noise. Said he'd need about $40 to cover the cost too...

Is this spring vibration noise normal? If yes, why doesn't mares put a small piece of foam rubber inside the spring, just to dampen the noise?

If it's not normal, should I send the setup to Mares to look at?

Please advise. Thanks.

PM Sent

Thanks for the quick reply Zak. I really appreciate the response.
-doug

Phenol,

This harmonic sound can randomly occur in all regulators. I received your pm, and will assume this is happening in the 2nd stage. Most likely it is the 2nd stage poppet spring vibrating, which creates the sound. At time of service ask your technician to pay close attention to the poppet spring and when reassembling turn it upside down. Most often this will fix the sound. If not replace with a new. Hopefully this noise is occurring out of the water and they will be able to notice the change without having to dive it. Please note this sound does not effect the performance or reliability of the regulator, it just creates an annoying sound. Let me know if this does not help.

Best regards,

Thank you Zak, I will ask my LDS tech to check this out when I send my reg for annual maintenance. As you say, it is more annoying than a real performance problem, because other than playing kazoo serenades for the fish I seem to have no problem breathing in any position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom