question I thought about but its kind of disgusting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
here is a what if... you are diving and feel sick. weather is was something you ate or the motion of the boat or both. you need to throw up (yuck I know). what do you do? do you
a. secure your reg in your mouth by holding it with one hand while you do your buisness
or
b. remove the reg. and do what you have to but keep it close to you to get a breath in between.

I would think that it is safer to keep your reg. in your mouth but could that lead to a clog... due to a chunk. I know, I know yuck...

but I am seriouse about the question... does anyon know if reg's are designed with this in mind? hey its only fish food :rofl3: ok I'll stop now.

I vote for removing the reg, myself. Good practice for airway control. They say you can throw up into the reg..but I would rather not.

This question has been discussed before in the forums. I have come close once but was able to overcome the feeling. My plan was to hold the reg in my mouth, spew through it, switch to my octo. The natural function is to inhale after vomiting, so holding it in makes the most sense.

You really have given this too much thought.
It won't clog. That's what the purge button is for.
No. Regs aren't designed to vomit into. They are designed to breath under water.
Why don't you try it and see. I'm sure you would give a thorough report.

A natural instinct is to breathe in after you have vomited . Regulators are rugged and can take it. Keep it in but hold it in your mouth so you do not spit it out.

You certainly know how to get attention with a title like that.

As for the subject ...

Yeah. Gross.

switch to your octo and puke away! That way you'll have a clean reg when you're finished and if you can purge your octo clean during the dive it'll be your buddys problem!

If I ever vomit underwater I'll keep my regulator in my mouth thanks very much. As noted by someone above, the natural reflex is to take in a breath and I have some pretty vivid recollections of gaspint for a breath \the last time I vomited into a bucket.

I'm not sure that anyone could put the regulator back into their mouth fast enough not to gasp in a couple of lungs full of water in.....after which I'm not sure anyone would be able to get the reg back in their mouth.

Keep the reg in your mouth, hold onto it to secure it in your mouth until you are done so you do not spit the reg out and do your business.
Yes, it can be done "Been there done that" that's all I need to say right..........

The best thing to do is signal your buddy out of air and puke through his regulator. :eyebrow:

Definitely keep the regulator in your mouth and, as DennisDives stated, hold it in...Don't take it out to puke. What's the next thing you do after you throw up...Yep...You take a breath....Water in the lungs would ruin your day...

Rick Inman:
The best thing to do is signal your buddy out of air and puke through his regulator

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom