Question on cavern diving in Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been to Bermuda many times. Love the island, culture, and the very friendly natives of this island. I have never dived in Bermuda but was told there is a large cavern that runs under the island from the lagoon to open water. I would be interested if anyone knows where you access this cavern and what to expect.

Thanks

when i was there may 2008 the cambrian foundation was doing some exploratory dives in various systems. not heard of thier results. maybe contact them for more info. Cambrian Foundation

Hello Pinto :)

There are many large caverns throughout Bermuda though not many Cave Divers. Many of the divers we get doing the cavern dives are researchers coming down looking for new critters. It is not going to be likely that your going to find any local divers who know the cavern system well enough to do it safetly. The Largest system of Caves are found in the east end of the Island close to the Airport, the system of caves you are talking about I do believe is the system of caves that runs from/into Harrington Sound. I could only take a few educated guesses where the main enterance is but I don't believe they have been really explorered throughly. Once again please keep in mind of safetly due to the face harrington sound is almost completely closed off from the ocean except one mainaccess point this greats strong tides and rip currents near any exits/enterances to the sound including anything underwater. Be Safe!

Your only chance of a cavern dive in Bermuda is with Triangle Diving on a guided dive with one of the caverns at Grotto Bay hotel, where they are located. Call them to inquire about this. Also, from your profile, it does not appear that you are cave certified, or even cavern.

Thanks BDA.

I've been to Bermuda many times. Love the island, culture, and the very friendly natives of this island. I have never dived in Bermuda but was told there is a large cavern that runs under the island from the lagoon to open water. I would be interested if anyone knows where you access this cavern and what to expect.

Thanks

We just got back from our Daughters wedding and only had time for 1 dive. Terry at Tuckers Point took us out to the Cathedral . I highly recommend it. It is a huge cavern with all kinds of ins and outs. There are also Lionfish now in Bermuda.To us who have not been in a long time, it was a wonderful dive,,about 51 ft max. No wet suit was needed because the water temp is perfect right now, however I would recommend a rash guard, as my wife got scraped a few times trying to get her BC set correctly and drifted up into the roof of the cavern and side of wall of it.:D $80 per diver with only tank and weights included, equipment is extra.

Back
Top Bottom