Question on Closeup Lens use with Nex 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the 30 is the only macro lens that will come out (one from Sony and one from Sigma) then I will probably sell my system and housing and look at some other micro 4/3 system. I want a 1:1 macro lens in the 60 mm range. Adding a +10 diopter (subsee) to the 30 macro will only get you to 1.1 to 1 and that is not enough. But then again, Sony is not making cameras for UW guys so I shouldn't complain.

Bill

The bigger problem with a 30mm macro lens if it goes to 1:1 is how close the lens will focus to the port glass at life size. Adding a diopter will reduce that distance by up to half which could but your subject within a few mm of the port or even focus inside the port. The 30 macro will be a great fish portrait lens but not so much for sub 1:1 shots. I base this on my use for years of the Olympus 35mm macro at 1:1, a 70mm equiv. in 35mm and how close it focuses to the port glass at 1:1.

Phil Rudin

Apparently the e-mount 30mm (f/3.5) macro (equivalent to 45mm on NEX-5) will be 1:1 with a minimum working distance of around 24mm. With a diopter, I expect the subject will be touching the port. Shame really... a 60mm macro would've been nice.

Trying to light a subject which is an inch or less from the port glass is a real challenge and the addition of a close-up lens would be even more difficult. Again this should be a great close-up lens for fish portraits and small subjects, but as a macro (1:1 lifesize) lens it will be hard enough to use out of the water.

I still think the 18-55 zoom and in this case the ReefNet SubSee +10 close-up lens are the better choice for getting smaller subjects.

Phil

Attachments

• _DSC3220.jpg
    _DSC3220.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I will refresh this topic.
I have 30mm lens, and when I added UCL165 and UCL330 there was no additional magnification, because of short focusing distance (I think) so do You think that I can obtain higher magnification with 16-50 mm lens and ucl165+330 stacked together?

I will refresh this topic.
I have 30mm lens, and when I added UCL165 and UCL330 there was no additional magnification, because of short focusing distance (I think) so do You think that I can obtain higher magnification with 16-50 mm lens and ucl165+330 stacked together?

Those two diopters have a working distance under 10cm. If the lens by itself can focus already at the same or less distance you will achieve nothing with a diopter.
A diopter only influences the working distance it does not provide any magnification by itself so you need to choose something that gets you closer than your lens and at that point is the distance doing the magnification

Interceptor121 THX I will do some test and try to compare it. Do You know what is the difference between UCL165 and 330 and typical Dyron +10 lens?

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 07:19 AM ----------

Did You ever try to take underwater the tele converter for land use, like that one
67mm Professional Titanium Series 2X Super Telephoto Lens - at - AccessoryCircut.com

I have never used teleconverters

Inon lenses total power 6.06+3.03=9.09 Focal Length 100/9.09=11.11 cm
10 diopter (assuming it is really 10 in water as sometimes the specification are in air) Focal length 100/10=10 cm
Dyron reports power in air Inon in water so Dyron +7 = Inon +6 same power

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom