Question on HOG/EDGE and Zeagle regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluechub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a new reg, and I am focusing on the following:

- HOG D3 (D2?) + Zenith
- EDGE Epic 2012
- Zeagle Flathead 7 or Onyx CW

There is a lot information on these, however I am looking for info on their second stages, experiences on the following:

- Are these dry breathers? Especially in a head down position, did any one have any problem with a wet reg?
- How's the bubble dispersion when stationary? I do video when diving and would not want to have an excessive amount of bubbles in front of the mask.

Thanks!

nothing is going to breathe perfectly dry when you are head down except a side exhaust, which won't breathe perfectly dry if you are that side up.

bubble dispersion for video is a finicky thing. If you are regularly mask flat forward or slightly up I would highly recommend considering side exhaust, or Apeks XTX so you can put the wide exhaust T's on it. There's a set in the classifieds that got posted this morning for a hog D1 with a pair of XTX50's that's not a bad deal that I'd consider before buying new.

I do video when diving and would not want to have an excessive amount of bubbles in front of the mask.

Thanks!

then this should be your selection: Shop Online

(BTW - I use a HOG Zenith as an octo for it)

I do video when diving and would not want to have an excessive amount of bubbles in front of the mask.

Thanks!

Rebreather or bust.

Thanks for the input. Are the wide exhausts just an Apeks aftermarket option?
I can deal with some "wetness" when in a specific position, just want to avoid something that is wetter than average (had one a few years ago and did not like it, too much clearing). I want to "forget" about the equipment under normal circumstances, rather than constantly monitoring it.

Rebreather would be nice but an overkill at this point for me.

Thanks.

they shouldn't be wet unless the diaphragm is vertical and upside-down. Apeks isn't aftermarket, it's just an option they have, user replaceable, new they come with both exhaust T's.

Realistically if you are in recreational limits and you are focusing on photography, the Kraken is the best solution, it isn't cheap, but it gets the bubbles completely out of the picture and breathes well in almost all orientations except laying on your back, but only the side exhausts breathe well in that orientation.

Good for recreational....So, why isn't it good for technical? There are guys using these on technical dives..... curious to your justification of your statement

(unless you are then meaning "go rebreather")

Last edited:
I want to "forget" about the equipment under normal circumstances, rather than constantly monitoring it.
That's one of the reasons I like my Zeagle reg. I have a DS-V with ZX second stage. The Z that comes with the FH-7 & Onyx is very similar, though the Z does have a smaller exhaust tee, so that may increase bubble interference a bit. No one I know that dives with a Z complains about it, though.

As far as dryness, never really noticed my reg leaking any water until my most recent dive. I had noticed during the dive that my mouthpiece didn't feel quite the same as previous dives. I only noticed a very slight leak, and I attribute it to moving my jaw a bit more during the dive than usual. In fact, my jaw was quite sore, which was unusual. When I got back home, I realized the problem. I use a Seacure X-Type. If you aren't familiar, the Seacure mouthpiece has a definite top and bottom. When I got my regulator serviced recently, it looks like it was installed upside down. Normally, my reg is forgotten as it just breathes nice and dry, and is quite comfortable.

I usually video each dive using a Liquid Image camera mask. Occasionally, I'll see bubbles on the video depending on my head position. In most (95% or more) of the video, I don't see any bubbles. If you plan on using a hand-held, this will be pretty much a non-issue.

[video=youtube;YcVM9qLlHeg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcVM9qLlHeg[/video]

At the end at around 00:13 I selfie and exhale. This is the HOG Zenith/D3. Breathes as dry as my Apex set.

Thanks everyone, it looks like I may also have to check the Apeks for the longer exhausts - I looked at their web site and the XTX50 seems a nice reg for what I need to do.

Belzelbub, I only heard good things about the Zeagles, so I am not surprised that you confirm that (aside from the mouthpiece upside-down). FishLovingStudent, that is a cool selfie, I see the bubbles going nicely behind when you exhale. BTW, what video setup did you use?

Yes, the video equipment is handheld, the bubbles are just a pet-peeve as I do not like if they interfere with my field of view - not the camera's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom