Question on SD vs HD for amateur videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how many Oscar nominated directors or cinematographers over the past 30 years have said to themselves on set... "I think I'll edit in the camera..."

You have a camera in your hands. Shoot. This isn't film. Shoot. Edit when you get home. The worst footage out there, is the stuff you don't get in the camera.

The only camera I've used underwater is my Sony A1U, but I have been very happy with the results shooting in conditions very similar to those you indicate you will be diving, and I really like having the manual white balance.

Everyone I have given a DVD to has been amazed at the color and clarity, but again, they may just be really nice people who don't want to hurt my feelings :).

I use an Amphibico EVO Pro housing, and it has served me quite well so far. Everyone will have an opinion on which format to use, and which camera is best, but I know in my case that the biggest limitation on the quality of the video I shoot is the experience of the user...

Buy within your budget and enjoy the whole experience. I've only been diving a few years, but I'm hooked, and video is a big part of the joy. Counting down to the end of the year trip to Roatan, and it seems so far away.

I am sorry but did you bother to read the OP's original post? He wants cheap! Not Academy award winning video for 1800! Good god, earth to posters, try reading! My suggest was about the budget and like Drbill I have done it before and I have seen it done with great out comes! A good vacation camera man should be able to shot on the fly and show what they shot to their friends and family! Will he "Produce" something marketable? Probably not!

The HDMI down loads uncompressed signal and you can get 1940x1080 from your HDMI! Just fact! Your tape stores it uncompressed, try playing the tape in a SDV player!

I wonder how many Oscar nominated directors or cinematographers over the past 30 years have said to themselves on set... "I think I'll edit in the camera..."

You have a camera in your hands. Shoot. This isn't film. Shoot. Edit when you get home. The worst footage out there, is the stuff you don't get in the camera.

I am surprised at your attitude on this subject! :confused::shakehead:I expected more from you given the the OP question! So the answer is big budget or go home?

No, the tape does NOT store it uncompressed. There is no uncompressed HD written to tape by anything in our salary range. It may well be 1080i, but it's compressed heavily.

As for reading the original post. Sure I read it. But "cheap" doesn't have to equate to crappy. And just because someone with 20 years of shooting experience can edit in the camera with decent results, doesn't mean a newbie can. There is no added expense by shooting, and then editing at home. His friends can wait a week while he gets his video together.

But if you guys want to give our orignal poster a few lessons in A/B roll, have at it.

No,

My attitude is take the time to shoot well, edit well, and present well. That has ZERO to do with big budget. I have a $600 Ikelite housing and a $250 Canon miniDV cam for underwater use. I shoot a DVX100 topside. But I sweat the details. I try to make my stuff as good as I possibly can. That doesn't cost any more money. Just costs me some effort.

In the OP's shoes, I'd shoot with the best SD camera I could afford. He'll likely get better results, cleaner videos, and can certainly manage with less light.

I am surprised at your attitude on this subject! :confused::shakehead:I expected more from you given the the OP question! So the answer is big budget or go home?

OK, after reading the posts (and after relieving some poker players of some money), I went out and bought the Canon HV30. I still don't know whether the HDV will show a lot better than the SDV, but figured that this camera would allow me to shoot in either format and it had very good reviews for on-land and low-level shooting. It also had 3 different settings for framerates, 24p, 30p, and 60i.

Since I plan on using it both above and below the water, I thought it would be good to get an HDV, at least for the above water shoots. I am still looking for a housing. There is only one listed that I have found so far, and that is the Ikelite 6071, but in the only review I can find on that housing, the reviewer gave it very bad marks. I am also pretty handy with tools, so thought I might DIY a case, but am open to getting a prebuilt housing, if anybody knows of a different manufacturer.

(I am not relying strictly on this forum for this. I am still doing my own research. I know in other forums that I am a monitor for, it is not considered proper manners to just ask and not do your own research at the same time.)

I also have no problems with editing the software at home. I am much more comfortable with that, since I can then put a soundtrack or a voiceover to the video for a more realistic documentary style production.

Thank you for all your suggestions and keep them coming. Even when I no longer need the suggestions, somebody else will eventually be looking for the same information.

Other housing options besides Ikelite for the HV30 might be from Equinox and maybe Aquavideo.

Yours is a pretty new camera but Equinox houses the HV-20 in their Pro6 housing which I believe is the same relative size. Plus since their housings are mechanically based, they can adapt the controls if needed.

I wouldn't discount the Ikelite either, they make a solid product. However using the mirror it will pan backwards since Ike only has reversing circuitry for Sony cameras.

I'm not pushing Equinox, but they do have a monitor back option.

I still don't know whether the HDV will show a lot better than the SDV
It will on an HDTV...:D btw, you want to shoot in HDV and downconvert during transfer/editing as needed.

It will and you will be happy you did! You bought a great camera now go forth and shot!

PF I have a lot of respect for your posts and I can see many get very good advice form you 99% of the time! I felt you had forgotten what a non-camera-file was looking for in this particular post! No offense meant! We have a tendency to go way over most point and shooters heads and I would hate to scare someone off from the beauty of HD or new Technology! :)

Papa Bear, I don't often agree with what you say, but in this case I'm buying what you're selling.

Here's the issue:

Far too many point and shoot people are told to seek out HDV as some new panacea. Well it's not. Yes, under good conditions, HDV can deliver magnificent results. BUT, under low light, only the best of the HDV cameras perform well. And quite frankly, most point and shooters are NOT dropping the $2k necessary to get top notch lighting. Under low light conditions, good SD cameras often deliver better results. This is true underwater and topside.

Give me 50 lux in a room and I'll stomp all over a consumer HDV camera with my DVX. Put 1000 lux in the room, and I'll get trounced most likely. But most people aren't told that. They think they can come in with an $800 HDV camera and it will outshoot that "old technology".

Is the HV30 (or HV20, or similar camera) a good HDV camera? Sure. But it's no HVX or EX1. And it's not priced like them either. The deck is stacked against HDV cameras underwater. Their generally poor light gathering, their high levels of compression conspiring against moving subjects, their generally poor ability to shape the image in-camera, etc. Again, it's not like they can't or won't work, but as Dr. Bill found out, it's no panacea or guarantee of great imagery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom