Question on solo dive travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tim............could you spell out ***? or is it that word that starts with * and ends with **? wink wink

Happy Diving

I just went through this question for myself. I was going to go with a LDS and do my AOW in Cozumel with them. That was cancelled because of Wilma. I still decided to do the trip solo and will go to Cozumel this week. I read here for opinions and booked an instructor to do AOW. Perhaps this would work for you. Instead of paying for a guide you get an instructor. It does cost a bit more but you have a chance to learn directly with someone in the kind of enviroment you will dive in the future (boat, etc..) This way you have someone who is more dedicated to you and knows your experience level.

I also suggest checking out any LDSs in your area to check for trips. I have met a lot of good people this way and learned a lot just talking with them. SB is a great resource as well. I am going to dive with a fellow SBer one day while I am down in Cozumel.

Get in touch with Romeo at www.nativedivers.com/
great guy, small groups and I am sure that he can find you a suitable buddy or dive with you himself. Most of his business seems to be return customers, always seems to know everyone on the boat. He does have a new boat, larger than the one on the website.

I've had the opportunity to dive while on business travel in Hawaii on my own on a few occasions. I'm fairly new to diving. I booked with a local dive op. The boats were tourist oriented. The DM paired us off if we didn't connect with someone on the boat. On one dive the DM was my buddy. All went OK and I had fun but, you need to go into this situation uderstanding a few things: (1) You will be paired with a stranger, even if it is the DM. (2) In some cases the boat buddies, other than a DM, were in name only. They had no clue I was there half the time. Lessons learned were: (1) You treat it like a potential solo situation. (2) Pay close attention to the dive brief. (3) Be honest with the DM on your experience level. (4) Stay with the group and DM. (5) Dive conservative and don't push your limits. (6) Chances are the more experienced divers in the group and the DM will have longer bottom time and be more relaxed. You won't be as relaxed and experienced, so watch your air consumption closely. (7) If it don't feel right, call the dive, and signal your buddy or DM you are going up.

DavidHickey:
Good morning,
Just had a question on solo dive travel. I wasn't sure whether to post it here or in the vacation section. But since its a general question I posted it here. I'm contemplating going to Aruba in March. I'm new to diving with around 20 something dives under my belt and most of these dives have been at local Ohio quarries with the exception of 2 shore dives in St Thomas. I want to get some diving in while there but I'm a little concerned as I will be traveling by myself and have never had the opportunity to do boat dives or dive without my buddie "Fiancee". My concern is mainly that I will not have a dive buddie and not sure exactly how that works when booking a dive trip. I know I've read on here numerous times were experienced divers get upset when paired with new divers or even refuse to be paired up with new divers. I realize my air consumption at this point is bad and I can understand why someone would not want to get paired with someone who will probably cause them to end their dive early. How does this normally work? Does the dive master typically pair up with the solo diver or would I be better off to pay for a guide to go with me? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
David

Just tell them you're a solo type of guy! No questions asked.

Just do your homework on area operators and be straight up in advance with them on your skills and concerns. They want your business and a good operator will do his best to pair you up right if not buddy up with you (I have seen this many times). If you go and don't dive you will end up regretting it. Take advantage of every opportunity!

If you're planning on any shore diving while there, you might post in the appropriate forum here on SB to see if a local diver would like to show you around. Personally I love meeting new SB members, new divers or old ones when they travel here. I'm sure there are some there who feel the same way ... either way - have fun :D

Since I don't have a regular dive buddy, and usually travel solo (or with non-divers), almost all my dives have been in your situation. I've never had a problem, even when newly-certified, finding someone to buddy with in a resort area. I let the dive shop know in advance of my situation, and remind them once I get there. The DM usually either finds me a buddy or I buddy with the DM.

Just don't make presumptions (like waiting until everyone's giant striding in to figure out your buddy), don't be afraid to ask for hand signals checks with your buddy on the boat ride out, check of equipment, etc., and be honest about your abilities.

Have fun!

http://www.divearuba.com///is my dive operator of choice Clive runs a great operation and will take care of you I dove SOLO the entire week I was there.We dove all the the sites and had a blast he will pick you up from Hotel any where on the island and drop you back at your door step
He will let you dive until your done with your dive and not dive for 20 min. and every one back on the boat.
book early he is hard to book with email him and make reservactions.
A real all around Great time with him. nothing but good posts about him on here :D :D

I was wondering if dive operators will allow someone to dive solo if they don't have a buddy? assuming everyone is paired up and most of your dives have been solo would the dive operator allow you to dive solo? Would they create a more restrictive dive plan for you? Based on other comments about having the DM as your buddy, it sounds like you may be diving solo anyway. I have never had the chance to go on a dive trip but I would like to and would run into this problem/concern also.

Back
Top Bottom