Question on use of diver down flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That could help but im trying to stay small!
I just got a scubapro trivent with a scubapro shotgun snorkle on ebay from ca. for 24 dollers yes yes
thanks again rick L

Different laws for different states. I do not think that it's stringently enforced in most landlocked states. I do know of two divers in TN that got fined $90.00 each for not having a flag. I know of pros and cons. I have had problems with boaters coming over to the flag "to see what it is" and during a sudden summer storm I have had lightning to strike the water (and in my opinion) run down the buoyline to my metal reel. By the same token, I lost a friend a couple of years ago that would have been alive today if he had been towing a flag. He blundered into a cave accidentally and didn't get out. Dive Training Magazine had a good article a few years ago that covered the topic thoroughly. It would take me a few days to retrieve it but if you contact me privately I could tell you which issue it was. Perhaps they have an archives section? Also, if you take the time to check your state lawbooks I am sure you will be surprised....I was! Lots more in there than anyone thought. Good luck, safe diving and USE THE FLAG. I feel the disadvantages are far overbalanced by the advantages.
Norm

Originally posted by Norm
I lost a friend a couple of years ago that would have been alive today if he had been towing a flag. He blundered into a cave accidentally and didn't get out.

Splain.....
How did he "blunder into a cave accidentally"?

We typically don't have vis locally like most of you....
"When he decided to surface - he couldn't. Two other divers survived the dive. One groped his way out accidentally and the other came out another passageway and didn't even realize it." This is a good reason to use a buoy in lakes with low visibility. I've seen area lakes where you lose daylight at 20' (even on a bright sunny day) and it becomes as black as night. Add to that darkness, low vis, possible poor silting techniques, buddy separation, etc. (My opinion, make it your's - I wasn't there. This was the account I heard)
Norm

Now I can see how you could blunder into a cave...
I still don't understand why you would choose to dive there...

Course most folks can't understand why we dive currents with 10' viz and man-eating barnacles....

And I am sorry about your friend....

Hi Norm, sorry about your friend & thanks for the splaining... but how would having a dive flag change the outcome?

-K

I hate that darn diver down flag. As I dive around New England I too notice that some use them and some don’t. I do not like towing the darn thing around with me while diving. Especially when I’m diving below 60 feet. I know it’s a good idea, I know there is reason and purpose behind the whole thing, but I still hate that flag and yes I have dove with out it often. I have also seen boaters doing donuts around them in open water. Guess their no smarter than me diving with out the flag…………..Dive Safe

Arduous

Hey all,

While I don't take it on every dive... like in a spring or spring run, where it is not neccesary, I for one, want to do EVERYTHING in my power to tip boaters off as to my whereabouts. I have had the odd jetski get too close, but for the most part I am given a wide berth by the majority of boaters. Manatee are a great example of WHY you should have a flag... Very, very few of them are without scars on their backs. I don't know about you, but I resemble a manatee enough already without having to have scars as further proof! I put my flag on a cheap caver's reel... you know the cheesey plastic type they sell at Diver's outlet. It has a clip for my BC so I don't have to keep handling it all of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom