Question open to all DMC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemastersintraining

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
What IS a Divemaster course any way? An Agency found some guide lines for you to achieve in a certain amount of time. BUT as a diver looking to become a professional, what are YOU looking to for? What do you want to achieve or become by the end of your course? What is your personal goal? Other than the fulfillment of standards(given), what do you think you need to achieve to be a professional?

It is very hard for me to use DM and "a professional" in the same sentence.

I feel there are DM's that conduct themselves professionally but I have never seen or heard of a recreational diving DM job that could be described as a profession.

I think what I was looking for in my DM training was how to become a better role model, and honing the skills to cope with the unexpected.

The academic portion was irrelevant because I'd already done technical training that was more in depth than the DM stuff. Similarly for the "water comfort" stuff. But working with students was an eye-opener.

I'm not looking to work in the industry right now (although never say never), but I'm going down the DM route because I wanted to hone my diving skills and become more self-sufficient.

The program has been excellent for that, but I would have loved it if there was a course or other mechanism which helps keep skills sharp and works on any gaps. If my LDS ran a monthly basic/rescue skills refresher program, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

As it is, my regular buddies and I have agreed to occasionally spring problems on each other on shallow shore dives, just to keep our skills in shape (eg someone has a 'cramp', someone sinks to the bottom and is unresponsive and needs to be surfaced).

When I get the DM cert (should be in the next week or so - doing it very part time) I'll volunteer to help out on an OW course here and there to keep skills sharp. But (anyone from a training agency listening?) I and many people I know would love a regular refresher program just to make sure we're doing things correctly and keep us 'non-pro' DMs, and anyone who wants to hone their skills, up to speed (because I feel if you have the DM cert, you need to make sure you're worthy of it on an ongoing basis).

An unexpected benefit has been the pure joy of introducing someone to the underwater world, on the OW/DSD courses I've interned on. And the enhanced understanding of the physics and physiology is also a great benefit.

All the best to everyone.

M

When I completed my divemaster I wanted to become a more confident, efficient diver. I loved the idea of being part of someone elses first underwater experience as well as finding those hidden treasures underwater and pointing them out to someone that may have just glided past. For me personally as well keep my own skills sharp and hopefully encouraging other people to do so, so we can have a fun, yet safe experience underwater.

an all the cool kids are doing it so...

also I wasnt losing money quite fast enough as a non-"professional"....

*shrugs*

Hmmm, I saw this post a while ago and it got me thinking. I had the intention to eventualy instruct as soon as I passed my OW in Dec 06. Not sure I could say why now, probably just to show others what we get to see day in and day out. Divemaster was a step toward that point. When I started my DM in I think March or April this year I was told it would improve my diving and get me working with students. It would give me a real appreciation of just how hard and rewarding the industry can be. Honestly at the time I think I was most drawn by the idea of self improvement and free air fills :wink:

Now im nearly finished, the efects of the course are different than I thought. It has made me a better diver, less selfish ( I like to dive on my own a lot ) and a far more capable buddy and leader. It's really knocked me down a peg or two and a lot of that has come from working with students. I think until you do it you will struggle to appreciate just how easy instructors can make it look. Especially if you're not a natural people person. There is, at least for me a huge gulf between being able to dive well and being able to teach diving well and understanding that has been a humbling experience.

Sorry the above is a bit rambling, the op asked a lot of questions so I thought a more discussive answer was appropriate. Still not sure of the answers to many of those questions, perhaps i'll be able to answer more clearly some time after I am certified.

I take my written test tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to helping with the OW class next month!

For me, it's the opportunity to create a dive buddy. I'm on the path to being an instructor - I want to set up a program like SUDS here at Ft. Bragg. Along with the benefits (discounts on gear, leading dive trips off the coast, etc), I get the chance to use my teaching skills. I've been teaching skills in high stress environments for the past 10 years - initially to peers, and later to younger troopers. Teaching civilians brings it's own special considerations, like the need to tie down equipment and staying with your buddy. I'm using it as an excuse to dive more when my wife has to study.

Back
Top Bottom