QUESTION re: E18 Error for S230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Powershot S230 in which I get an E18 error code when I powere the camera on. Once the code is shown, the camera powers off.

The E18 code simply means that the lens in not operating correctly (protracting, ect.)

My question: Have any of you had this error? Were you able to resolve it yourself? Or, did you take it in to have it repaired? Is it worth having it repaired?

I have since bought a new camera, but was thinking of trying to get this camera repaired to give to my teenage daughter. Any info would greatly be helpful. Thank you.

Hi Diver_Jan, I myself had this same error a few months ago.

You can see my experiences and eventual results here.

In brief
  • The error is generally not able to be resolved by the user. I've seen some supposed solutions posted on the net, but i'm not comfortable with those as they involve partial disassembly of the camera with no guarantee that it'll work.
  • It certainly is worth having repaired, if this is a camera that is used on a regular basis, I suppose if you don't really use the camera then it makes no difference.
  • Total turnaround from time of my having shipped the camera to Canon to them having repaired it and shipped it back was 1 week.
  • Generally the E18 error is repaired under warranty free if the camera is 1 yr old or younger (not 100% sure there)
  • Camera has worked wonderfully since then and I would have no qualms of recommending a similiar course of action to you or someone else with that problem.
Cheers :).

P.S. If I remember correctly the S230 is an older camera from 2002 or so?
I think chances are you'd have to pay Canon for the repair..

If the price for the repair is close to the price of a new camera, i'd go with the new one....... :D

The E18 is a very common error with the Canons cameras but recently I found a great solution for all of you like me that the waranty had gone. It has step by step information with photos!!!
Here is the page for the solution Canon E18 Problem

Good luck

It really works

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom