Question regarding Olympus C-50 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainbowblues

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. I noticed a few people suggested the Olympus C5050 with a PT-015 housing,I'm thinking of buying one but I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. Backscatter,is it a problem with the internal flash? Is there a hotshoe attachment that can be used for an external flash underwater? Will flash be that important because of the 5 pixel rating? I would appreciate any help. Rainbowblues(the newbie)

First of all, a disclaimer: I'm no expert. One of the best places to get informed answers on digital uw photography is at digitaldiver.net. I used to shoot with my 4040 in a PT-010 housing and now shoot with a 5050 w/ a PT-015 housing. Backscatter is often a challenge, but if you are doing closeup macro or supermacro, where the distance between your subject and the lens is not so great, then this will reduce the likelihood of backscatter. You can always clean some of that up with photo editing software like Photoshop.

With the PT-015 housing there is no bulkhead strobe connection. The connection that lets the camera "communicate" with the strobe is a fiber optic cable. The flash is important depending on the environment you are shooting in. Obviously, if you are diving clear tropical waters and relatively shallow reefs, you can get some very nice shots with the in-camera flash. My personal experience is that it's nice to start out with just the camera and housing and dive with it for a while until you really learn the camera. Learn to use the camera in full manual mode. This will give you much more control over your shots. Then, later on, if you want to get more serious with your photography, get a single strobe...and then move on to dual strobes if you feel you need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom