Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to dive for years as a kid. I had aquariums for years and loved the underwater world from watching Jaque Cousteau series from the 60's. I was at a base pool in 88 and they were putting on a discover scuba. I ran home got my trunks and came back. I have been diving ever sense. I have seen some of the most amazing critters over the last 22 years. My only regret is I did not start sooner. The best way to discribe how it makes me feel is this. Do you remember when you were a small child and you seen or did something exciteing and it gave you goose bumbs! That is how I feel when I am diving. You never know what youare going to see or experiance.

I figured it would be a good way to meet girls. I ended up marrying a non-diver. Sometimes God just laughs at us...

My father knew a lot about invertebrate marine zoology and loved tidepools and everything that lived in or near them. My family went to a lot of places where we could dig clams, catch crabs, and identify all sorts of things from east coastal Canada to Florida. One vacation in about 1960 was to the recently opened Virgin Island Nat. Park where we camped at Hawksnest Bay (long since closed to camping). The reef came right to the shore. We spent hours in the water each day snorkeling over the reef, only inches to a few feet below us. I saw a green moray under a dead brain coral right at the tide line in 1 ft of water and 2-3 ft from shore and a bunch of squid out at the edge of the reef, plus many other unidentifiable (then) fish in between. One day, a woman also snorkeling put her hand on a long spined urchin and took a real hit. She was lucky. My father was a surgeon and had come medically prepared for all sorts of modest medical emergencies, including minor surgery to remove the 30-40 spines broken off in her hand. My father also was a member of the Audubon Society and a birder who got my brother and me interested in that. The combination of all these things just naturally led to a desire to dive. The diving didn't happen until after college, graduate school, marriage, kids and FINALLY, kids out of the house. Then, my wife and I got certified. Finally. Every time we dive, we comment about how my parents would have loved it, too.

2-years ago started basic open water instruction (NAUI) following suggestion from my wife that it would be a way to further father-son bonding. Dad (me) age 56 and son, age 22, had a great time learning. Turned out to be a wonderful suggestion! Older son (age 29, previously certified) 'joined in' on the enthusiasm for diving. Since then we have done several week-long dive vacations as a family. Love the 'family group', technical, and 'National Geographic' aspects of diving! Wonderful to see such beautiful sights and sharing the experience with family!

I started diving because I watched Cousteau's specials on TV. I want to continue my education so that I can become a much better, and better educated diver. I'd like to do some marine biology, diving for science, and hopefully some underwater archeology.

Started because when I married my wife, she was certified and her father was an instructor. I was compelled. They seemed to like it alot so it must be fun. No one in my family dived but I always liked water and swimming (fresh water). My father in law also got me all the gear I needed to start (which has now all been replaced.)

As a Kid, I would run home to watch the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau I knew then I wanted to Dive. After getting side tracked with marrage, Kids and the Navy I finally took my first breath underwater in 2008. Now my life seems to revolve around the next dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom