Question.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackPatch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

My question is this. I have a 1975 and a 1976 dual setup Aqualung Calypso iv second stages paired to a US divers first stage of similar vintage. I have just had the whole Air delivery system serviced by my LDS.

What I want to know is are these 1st and 2nd stage Nitrox Compatible below 40% ?

Any help with this is much appreciated.

As long as you keep the O2 mix below 40% you will not have any issues. If you are still concerned about it, just find a tech who knows what he is doing and have the internal Orings replaced with Viton ones. Out of curiosity, which first stage, a Calypso or a different one? If it's a Conshelf, nitrox kits are available for it (same one as the Titan) but IMO it's not worth spending the extra money for as long as you are exceeding 40% and servicing the reg on a reasonable schedule....

And for what it's worth, most of us don't consider single hose regs past the late 60s or so vintage.

I agree that the poor OP will be fine with nitrox and that his regulator is not truly vintage era but he only saw this:

"Vintage Equipment Diving
Pre-1980 "Vintage" SCUBA Gear, including Double Hose Regulators, Conshelfs, Voit, Aquamaster, Horsecollar BC's and other classic pieces of gear. Sea Hunt, Jacques Cousteau and the early history of this great sport."

Wherein it clearly states equipment that is pre-1980.

N

Right on Nem. Seems there is no longer a true vintage site anymore. Everybody wants to mix old and new and call themselves vintage. Once upon a time we did discuss vintage gear, practices, adventures. But now it seems everybody is more concerned about modernizing vintage gear to the point that the look of the double hose era is but a memory of a few of us who lived it and continue to try to keep it. Progress I guess.

Thanks for the heads up on the classification of Vintage chaps.

Herman, it is indeed a Conshelf First Stage. I will look into kits for it.

Thanks for the help.

Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom