Questions about being a freelance trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
If you choose the PADI instructor path do you have to work for a dive business or can you work out of your home? It would seem that if you have access to a pool for classes you should be able to train OW candidates at your house. Does PADI allows this?

If so what are the rules? Couldn't I just open up "Ulfs Dive store" and then train clients out of that?

I've been freelance for several years now. It was a great move...especially as it allows me to focus more on technical diving activities.

If you are PADI, there's no problem with operating independently from a dive shop - you can train and certify students directly. Some other agencies, i.e. SSI, BSAC etc, require more affiliation with dive centers/dealers; for processing of certifications.

Whilst PADI 'allows' freelance instructors... IMHO they don't do a lot to support us. The shareholders are much more interested with encouraging profit-making dive centers, than weazly independents. I've had arguments over the use of logos/marketing materials, amongst other things.

On the other side... you get to run your courses how you want to run them. No more pressures exerted by a boss to cut-corners or speed things up. It's more personal/social...and you can develop nice mentor-student relationships with your customers. Oh yes...and no more crappy jobs in the dive center... you're a 'customer' now. :wink:

When I started out, I just negotiated some deals with LDS to host my courses. I guess this'll depend on local practices, but here in the Philippines it means that I (the instructor) dive for free, but pay for the student/s' dives, gear rental (if reqd) etc. It tends to drive the prices up, but freelancers typically work out more expensive - this is (should be) offset by running more personalized courses and smaller groups etc.

Choice of training location for confined water isn't dictated by PADI. They just specify what the water conditions should be like. However, local regulations may exert some control over training locations (commercial use of...). That's worth checking up on. I do most of my confined sessions off a tropical beach... on/around a really cool artificial reef. It's also right next to a 'floating bar'... full of beautiful girls... which makes it less boring to do the surface skills LOL.

I consider that there's a difference between "freelance" and "independent." Freelancers subcontract their services to a dive center and get a percentage of the course fee or a flat fee for teaching the course. Independents set their own prices, run their own courses. I am an independent. I use my private pool for training, and I do not have a shopfront location with equipment for sale, etc. My business is legally registered, pays taxes, has an annual audit, etc., but is not an LDS nor a PADI shop, though I'm a PADI instructor. This is what works best for me.

If you choose the PADI instructor path do you have to work for a dive business or can you work out of your home? It would seem that if you have access to a pool for classes you should be able to train OW candidates at your house. Does PADI allows this?

If so what are the rules? Couldn't I just open up "Ulfs Dive store" and then train clients out of that?
Although PADI allows you to work as an independent dive instructor, I don't think they really encourage it.

If you want to work out of your home, you might want to consider looking into other agencies ... like NAUI or SEI. I've been working as an independent instructor ... teaching from my home ... for most of the past eight years. I get all the support from NAUI that I would get if I were a dive shop.

You can do it with PADI ... I know a couple people who do ... but I don't think their system is really the ideal choice for that approach ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom