Questions about my first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No refunds. You're getting a lot more bottom time than you've paid for!
Thats a good one ! Thanks for the info, im really looking forward to diving off a boat.

A lot of the procedures are really dependent on the boat design and dive location. I've been on 5 boats and all varied but in all cases the captain's instructions were clear and easy to follow.

In one case where there was no guide to follow, for the second dive the captain pointed at my buddy and I and said "You two are going in first since you were down the longest on the first dive"

Another boat in Cozumel divided into small groups of 2-4 divers and there was a DM/Instructor/Guide for each group who went through everything with us and lead our dive. The groups were all well separated, I only saw the other groups underwater at a distance if at all.

Have fun!

A lot of the procedures are really dependent on the boat design and dive location. I've been on 5 boats and all varied but in all cases the captain's instructions were clear and easy to follow.

In one case where there was no guide to follow, for the second dive the captain pointed at my buddy and I and said "You two are going in first since you were down the longest on the first dive"

Another boat in Cozumel divided into small groups of 2-4 divers and there was a DM/Instructor/Guide for each group who went through everything with us and lead our dive. The groups were all well separated, I only saw the other groups underwater at a distance if at all.

Have fun!
Thanks!

Now, once you get to the dive spot and the boat is in position what normally happens once you have your gear on? Stand in line to get in? raise your hand? Take a number? Ha Ha.. Second, once in the water and out of the way, do you just wait for DM? is there a huddle per say?

1. Someone says "pool is open" and people jump overboard in some kind of ordered-like fashion. You don't want to stand in gear and fins on a rocking boat any longer than you have to. You don't want ot be holding everyone up either.

2. It'll be in the briefing. If it's one group with DM you'd often all go down together but sometimes the huddle is down at the anchor instead. If it's unsupervised buddy pairs, then it's between you and your buddy.

It's all probably been said (or will be), so I will add two things-
--Have a "dry" bag to put where that stuff goes and have anything you'll need during the day (before time to change back into clothes) in your gear bag (ie. food, drink, suntan, seasickness stuff, etc.)
--Have in mind your gearing up order as the boat travels out. My first experiences seemed like there was a lot of laid back dive and other chatter, then all of a sudden the bell rings and everyone else seems to know exactly what to do to not lag behind. Of course, it's not a race, just seemed like that at first.

Have fun and enjoy. My advice is to keep your regulator in your mouth from the splash until your back on board, and keep your mask on your face. Seawater in your mouth and nose is a mess.

Get ready early for a couple of reasons. After you get ready you can relax and get your heartrate down and visualize a good relaxed dive. Think through all your gear because remembering your fins or your computer at the last minute will stress you just before entry. Calm Calm Calm

Hi,

Others gave good advice and tips. There are a few other things I wanted to mention. If there is current, you might see a trail line behind the boat. you can hold onto that so you don't drift off while you wait for your DM or your buddy, the group, etc. If there is a line that goes from the stern to the bow and your descent line is on the bow, grab that immediately and work your way towards the front - it generally means that there is so much current you can't even swim out there on your own. Since it's your first boat dive, I'm hoping that current isn't that significant that you will need to do either but just in case you see those lines, you know what it's for. :)

Hi,

Others gave good advice and tips. There are a few other things I wanted to mention. If there is current, you might see a trail line behind the boat. you can hold onto that so you don't drift off while you wait for your DM or your buddy, the group, etc. If there is a line that goes from the stern to the bow and your descent line is on the bow, grab that immediately and work your way towards the front - it generally means that there is so much current you can't even swim out there on your own. Since it's your first boat dive, I'm hoping that current isn't that significant that you will need to do either but just in case you see those lines, you know what it's for. :)
I appreciate the info on the lines, i have read about those, should be little current from what i have gathered. But you never know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom