Questions About Scuba Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I'm new to the diving scene and would like to get some feedback from the experienced divers on equipment. I plan on purchasing a kit soon and would like to hear any recommendations for a beginning diver. Has anyone used "EDGE" brand? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

There are several kinds of gear to consider.

1) The actual SCUBA components. Regs, SPG, BC.
2) Soft goods that must fit your body: wetsuit, wetboots, mask, fins, gloves
3) Accessories: Float, flag, SMB, compass, snorkel, bag to put it all in, lights, cutting devices
4) Computer
5) Cylinders

Let's take them one at a time.

1) Actual SCUBA components. These all require service. Have a plan. I service my own gear as do many on scubaboard, but most people don't (and probably shouldn't). Will your local shops service Edge gear? Are you OK with mailing it to someone? In general any well-known manufacturer of these components sells things that are safe and that will work. In practice there is little difference among brands and models for typical recreational dives. Hog, Edge, and Deep six are all closely related brands, and are highly regarded.

2) Soft goods. Fit matters, and this stuff wears out with time and use. I've bought this stuff new. I recommend LeisurePro.com because their prices are great and they have an extremely liberal exchange policy for things that don't fit. Or you can use a local shop and try things on in the store. Dive Gear Express has good masks at good prices, and I use them for that. I prefer spearfishing wetsuits for SCUBA but not everyone does. They are warmer and cheaper but somewhat more difficult to don and doff. Something to consider especially if you will be in cold water. I get mine at freedivestore.com.

3) Accessories, generally I've used Dive Gear Express for the things they carry (compass, lights, cutting devices), and Leisure Pro for the other stuff.

4) Computer, you've already got. I think the wrist mount computers are a good choice, and the Cressi you have now should work out well for you.

5) Cylinders, if you're diving locally, get some.

Like many on Scubaboard I prefer to have a wrist mounted compass, a wrist mounted computer, and an analog SPG. There are alternatives that combine these in various ways. Choose wisely.

If you are happy with your mask, great, if not, it may take some trial and error to find one that's right.

In many cases the cheap stuff works better. Don't buy a cheap compass, though.

Someone will be along to indoctrinate you into the cult of DIN regulators and BP/W BCDs in the next few posts. Good luck.

I bought a Epic Edge regulator set second hand but never used as my first regulator, it has served me well for about 70 dives. I recently bought an Atomic B2 used, like new condition. I had a shop check it out and just got back from a dive trip using it. The main difference I noticed was the with the Edge when I am upside down or inverted it becomes a little more difficult to breath. With the Atomic there was no difference. The Edge is a good value and will do the job well, but will you end up wanting a better regulator later?
I'm sure eventually I would like to upgrade to better gear but for right now I want to see how much diving I am able to do per year versus the cost of equipment. I would hate to purchase high end gear that doesnt get used as often I would like.

There are several kinds of gear to consider.

1) The actual SCUBA components. Regs, SPG, BC.
2) Soft goods that must fit your body: wetsuit, wetboots, mask, fins, gloves
3) Accessories: Float, flag, SMB, compass, snorkel, bag to put it all in, lights, cutting devices
4) Computer
5) Cylinders

Let's take them one at a time.

1) Actual SCUBA components. These all require service. Have a plan. I service my own gear as do many on scubaboard, but most people don't (and probably shouldn't). Will your local shops service Edge gear? Are you OK with mailing it to someone? In general any well-known manufacturer of these components sells things that are safe and that will work. In practice there is little difference among brands and models for typical recreational dives. Hog, Edge, and Deep six are all closely related brands, and are highly regarded.

2) Soft goods. Fit matters, and this stuff wears out with time and use. I've bought this stuff new. I recommend LeisurePro.com because their prices are great and they have an extremely liberal exchange policy for things that don't fit. Or you can use a local shop and try things on in the store. Dive Gear Express has good masks at good prices, and I use them for that. I prefer spearfishing wetsuits for SCUBA but not everyone does. They are warmer and cheaper but somewhat more difficult to don and doff. Something to consider especially if you will be in cold water. I get mine at freedivestore.com.

3) Accessories, generally I've used Dive Gear Express for the things they carry (compass, lights, cutting devices), and Leisure Pro for the other stuff.

4) Computer, you've already got. I think the wrist mount computers are a good choice, and the Cressi you have now should work out well for you.

5) Cylinders, if you're diving locally, get some.

Like many on Scubaboard I prefer to have a wrist mounted compass, a wrist mounted computer, and an analog SPG. There are alternatives that combine these in various ways. Choose wisely.

If you are happy with your mask, great, if not, it may take some trial and error to find one that's right.

In many cases the cheap stuff works better. Don't buy a cheap compass, though.

Someone will be along to indoctrinate you into the cult of DIN regulators and BP/W BCDs in the next few posts. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I found a dive shop close by me but I never thought to ask them if they would service brands they don't carry. That was definitely a helpful tip. It could end up saving me a costly mistake.

You definitely want your own computer. It's important to be familiar and capable of using it. Trying to learn a new computer each time you go diving is a bad idea.

Regulators are worth owning because you are aware of it's usage history and maintenance. If you don't dive often or deep (over 100 feet), you could get by just fine using a "low end" regulator such as the current ScubaPro Mk2 EVO + R195 combo. These are unbalanced but simple, reliable designs. Your typical rental regulator will be of similar quality (because they last a long time).

If you go diving once or twice a year at a warm water tropical location, it might not be worth buying a regulator set, especially after you take into account maintenance fees.

As a reference, you can get basic unbalanced combos for less than $100-200. You can get slightly better balanced regs in the $250-300 range.

Add $100-150 for the cost of service every 1-2 years.

Back
Top Bottom