Questions about Scubapro's MK2 PLUS & R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
My brother is looking into getting into diving, but is strapped for cash. Since I can give him a R190 and Uwatec console, he is considering buying Scubapro's MK2 Plus and a second R190. How good of a regulator systm would this be? He will be diving mostly cold water (the Great Lakes), BUT will only be using this system for recreational diving in no more than 100 feet of water (and this would be stretching it). He plans on being more of a weekend warrior diver. As this is life support equipment, he does not want to be cheap, but he does not have the money to buy a Scubapro MK25/G25/S600 reg. He would prefer to stick with Scubapro due to me already having a R190 & Uwatec console. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Comments? Thanks.

The Mk2/R190 is a damn good regulator for it's price. The Mk2 is an unbalanced piston design which is basically the same first stage Scubapro has been making since the early 60s. It's beauty is in it's simplicity. The only problem with it is for very cold water, because it is not a sealed first stage, it has the potential to freeze.

The R190 is an unbalanced downstream second stage which is also very simple. If adjusted properly it would make a good rec diving regulator. Their durability makes them great rental regs. The only problem I can forsee is the piston first stage in coldwater. If he can afford it the Mk16/R390 is only a little more and that has a balanced diaphragm first stage.

The above advice is well intended but not needed nor entirely accurate. It kind of generalizes the diaphragm versus piston second stage freeze up issue. The facts are just not as simple as the stereotype. Some piston designs provide exceptional service in cold water while some diaphragm designs are not totally sealed and are still subject to freeze ups, often long before some piston designs will freeze.

We have routinely used the Mark 2 Plus with the standard TIS kit on ice dives with no problems. The TIS kit is not really adequate for the very high flow rate Mk 25, but does a superb job on the Mk 2 even in water as cold as 32 degrees.

I would have no reservations about using the MK 2 190 on any dive above 100'.

The Mk 16 with the standard TIS kit is also a good choice for cold water and gets you into a medium performance reg that will provide more air than you would ever need unless going well below rec limits. The cost difference between the Mk 2 and Mk 16 first stages is about $55.00.

The catch is that SP likes to market the Mk 16 with the smaller R390 which, while smaller, is internally identical to the R190 and in my opinion not worth the extra cash. So you may have to push the LDS a bit to sell you a MK 16 R190.

I went with the small R390 over the R190 because of the physical size.
Both my kids were certified with the 190 but much perfer the size of the 390.

DA Aquamaster:
The above advice is well intended but not needed nor entirely accurate. It kind of generalizes the diaphragm versus piston second stage freeze up issue. The facts are just not as simple as the stereotype. Some piston designs provide exceptional service in cold water while some diaphragm designs are not totally sealed and are still subject to freeze ups, often long before some piston designs will freeze.

We have routinely used the Mark 2 Plus with the standard TIS kit on ice dives with no problems. The TIS kit is not really adequate for the very high flow rate Mk 25, but does a superb job on the Mk 2 even in water as cold as 32 degrees.

I would have no reservations about using the MK 2 190 on any dive above 100'.

The Mk 16 with the standard TIS kit is also a good choice for cold water and gets you into a medium performance reg that will provide more air than you would ever need unless going well below rec limits. The cost difference between the Mk 2 and Mk 16 first stages is about $55.00.

The catch is that SP likes to market the Mk 16 with the smaller R390 which, while smaller, is internally identical to the R190 and in my opinion not worth the extra cash. So you may have to push the LDS a bit to sell you a MK 16 R190.
You learn something new every day. I personally do not dive in water colder than 60 degrees (for the time being I just picked up a dry suit though.) The only experience I have with the MK2/190 is in our rental which is pretty much warm water use only. I have, however, talked to PSD divers who train/dive in cold water/ice conditions and the ones who are using the MK25 ***** and moan constantly about it and those using the older MK18 and MK16 don't have that problem.

Let me be as terse as I can be, The ScubaPro Msrk 2 R-190 is the finest regulator I've ever owned and used. It lives, uncapped, in my boat and my pick-up truck. It is not a so-called "shallow water regulator". Been to 250 with one on working dives.
Push all the dive shop gibberish aside. Buy an inexpensive piston regulator and you'll get years and years out of it. Disregard b-s warranty ploys (bring it back ever year - GAD!). What's wrong with it if it needs attention every year? Scuba regulators are not Rolex watches - they are rugged pneumatic devices that go underwater and work.

Fred Calhoun

You tell 'em Fred!

I agree that the MK2/R190 is perfectly adequate in all recreational diving scenarios and super reliable and proven over decades of use.

The bit about "..life support...cheap..." is nonsense. First, safety and price are NOT related in scuba gear, despite the industry's best efforts to convince us otherwise, and if regs were truly life support, there would be A) real qualifications for those who repair them, and B) lots of dead divers who have had reg failures.

The whole premise of OW-buddy system diving is to be able to deal with equipment failures or loss of air without dying.

Awesome report Fred! I have been using a Scubapro Mk2/R190 for YEARS, well, since the early 80's, and have dived down to 130' in the cold Atlantic without a single problem. This baby delivers PLENTY of air and is just as dependable as everyone that knows anything says it is. One of the old fashioned features I love about this reg is that it reminds you to look at your SPG when your tank is getting down. I like that! I have a yellow matching R190 octopus and it breaths the same as my primary. There are SO many arguments about balanced vs. unbalanced. It comes down to personal preference and...how much can you afford. Scubapro puts out a fantastic product, and has been for decades! You can trust this little workhorse. There truly is not as big a difference as a lot of "unbalanced" critics say there is when it comes to ease of, or work of, breathing between the two types of regulators. Try one. My bet is that you'll love it!

anyhow, since its revived - The MK-2: this "little workhorse" resides on my pony with a 156. For the cold water of the Great Lakes, it is my safety net if I have to shut down may primary due to a FF... I put a lot of trust in it.

One of the nice things about a mark 2 on a pony is that in case of a flood it is very simple to rebuild and Trident replacement seats are only $2.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom