Questions about The Suunto Cobra 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I finally got to use my first computer this past weekend in West Palm Beach. I bought a Cobra 3 and I was preety much happy with it but I have a couple of questions.

1, I cannot hear the alarms at all! this bothered me as it was one of the features as to why I wanted the computer. Is this a common problem with computers in general? or is it the Suunto's?

2, How do you all see that small assent rate graph? Its kinda hidden behind the plastic shield and it was hard for me to see. Any of you have the same problem with this?

Thanks for any input or advice

Last edited:
lol, I guess no answers to this one :)

I have a Cobra (original, two generations back). I agree wrt the alarms. In calm warm water with no hood and just cruising, I can usually hear it. With a hood or a beanie, or if I'm actively swimming, not so much. I'd really like it louder, and sorry to see they apparently still haven't addressed this.

As for ascent rate, if it's the same bar graph on the right side, I can read it fine if I'm looking for it. Can't say it jumps out at you, though.

I have a Cobra (original, two generations back). I agree wrt the alarms. In calm warm water with no hood and just cruising, I can usually hear it. With a hood or a beanie, or if I'm actively swimming, not so much. I'd really like it louder, and sorry to see they apparently still haven't addressed this.

As for ascent rate, if it's the same bar graph on the right side, I can read it fine if I'm looking for it. Can't say it jumps out at you, though.

Thanks for the reply. I find that the protective shield is kinda in the way to see the assent rate, I almost half to turn it side ways to look at it.

Don't know if the cobra is the same as the vyper but I don't have any problems with mine.

Don't know if the cobra is the same as the vyper but I don't have any problems with mine.

I have tested it at the 1000 psi alarm setting and I cannot hear the thing. I wonder if thier is a way to make it louder

Besides the sound alarm the display also flashes as well. You should be doing checks on your remaining air regularily throughout your dive. I have only heard the sound alarm when on the surface and never underwater.

Besides the sound alarm the display also flashes as well. You should be doing checks on your remaining air regularily throughout your dive. I have only heard the sound alarm when on the surface and never underwater.

Thanks for the info. I just felt after spending so much on the cobra3 that I should of heard the alarms. I am just being picky, but I do check my puter often anyway. Do you find the accent rate hard to read behind the protective cover?

Let me be impolite and ask if you are an older diver. The Suunto alarm is at a relatively high frequency and if you have suffered some high frequency hearing loss you might have a hard time hearing it. Fortunately my high frequency hearing is pretty good (I just turned 49), and I also have no problem hearing my Suunto alarms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom