Questions about The Suunto Cobra 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got the cobra3 as well. I have no problem seeing the ascent rate indicator, I actually use it quite often.

I have never heard the audible alarm underwater either.

Let me be impolite and ask if you are an older diver. The Suunto alarm is at a relatively high frequency and if you have suffered some high frequency hearing loss you might have a hard time hearing it. Fortunately my high frequency hearing is pretty good (I just turned 49), and I also have no problem hearing my Suunto alarms.

I'm 23 and had my hearing tested recently and was found to have normal hearing for my age. i.e. the high frequency response of my ear is still pretty well developed. I never hear my computer's (Suunto Vytec) alarms at depth because I wear a hood. Even when I am not wearing a hood it is still hard to hear the alarm unless I am specifically listening for it.

I'm guessing the alarm for the Cobra is the same for the Vytec.

I have never heard my Cobra 3 alarm underwater, maybe it hasn't alarmed yet!? In the early days of dive computers, it was crazy underwater with 10 or more alarms going at once, loud and intrusive, usually on ascent or safety stop, and you were never certain whose alarm it was anyway. I have never felt the need for an auditory alarm, and prefer the quiet underwater. I too might have lost a fair amount of high frequency perception though. I suspect it was in response to complaints that the volume has been turned down, lets keep it that way!

Let me be impolite and ask if you are an older diver. The Suunto alarm is at a relatively high frequency and if you have suffered some high frequency hearing loss you might have a hard time hearing it. Fortunately my high frequency hearing is pretty good (I just turned 49), and I also have no problem hearing my Suunto alarms.

I am 40, but also a firefighter. So I am sure all those years of damage from air horns doesnt help.

Back
Top Bottom