Questions on Dunbar rock, Guanaja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbahr

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have done searches on Trip Advisors as well as this site and Undercurrent as well, not much information out there...

In general it looks good, BUT have seen complaints on:

• Food
  • Nitrox availability
  • Hot water
We have been to Utila a number of times and generally like it, but sadly the Whale sharks have eluded us... That said how, are the above issues still a problem AND how does the diving compare with Utila for sea life.

Our trip would be in early April next year...

Thanks in advance...

Ray

Hi:

I can't answer your questions directly, but you said after searching you found there's not much information out there, and I thought of an old thread from 2015 that might be useful, so I turned to Google and found it.

Dunbar Rock Resort.

What I especially like about that thread is that one of their representatives joined the thread and answered, point for point, a bunch of questions I fired off trying to get a handle on what a trip there would be like. Thook posted a link to a video from his trip on that thread.

Dunbar Rock Resort's website says: "63 cu ft and 80 cu ft tanks are available for air. Nitrox is not available at this time but will be coming shortly!" I guess there's a chance the website's not yet updated and they have it? You could ask directly.

Richard.

Thanks,

Yes, I had seen that thread. I am interested in the current possibly 'improved' situation. Also found several other posts, some of which are newer, but still have my questions, and looking for other than a rep of the organization.

Thanks

Ray

I have been "on the Rock" a couple of times just to visit and gawk.

Asking about food and hot water at any third world accommodation is highly dependent upon if you're asking about yesterday, today, or tomorrow. Things can be transitory, changeable and a bit unpredictable. Roatan has become so annoyingly civilized that visitors ask/complain about Internet access. Now you're asking about a citadel perched on a rock a few miles offshore of the backwater last-stop-on-the-trolley, Guanaja. I think you can buy Diet Coke on the population center of Bonacca Key most days of the month, but then you have to motor over there and buy it when the Walmart is open.

Such is the nature of adventure travel, and a trip to Dunbar Rock fits into that adventure travel niche with little argument. In these days of homogenized travel, there isn't much left in the Caribbean that lies in that category.

Go, have fun, be a person who can say, "I remember when....", no less that when we old people reminisce about the primitive nature of Grand Cayman in 1970. Some people go to GC today and start feeling all Anthony Bourdain, "exploring " in their rental car and assumably a pith helmet. Bless ther heads.

In re nitrox. I've done quite a bit of private liveaboard diving all around Guanaja. The expected resort-based dive schedule is 3x a day. It is quite likely spread out thru the day, not even two tank boat dives. Whatever. The local reef structure and the critters you come to see mathematically add up to very shallow average dive profiles.

With the above in mind, there is no predictable need for nitrox. If you "want" or "desire" something that may not be a local standard requirement, much as Diet Coke, you might be SOL.

Be flexible, go have an adventure.

My LDS just led a trip there and has at least one more scheduled for early 2018. LDS owner said it was a "great trip", but that's what he says about every trip...so hard to calibrate. If you want to contact him with specific questions, send me a private message and I can pass on his email address.

EDIT - sorry, should have said they have another trip scheduled for early 2017, not 2018

Chris

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom