Questions on fin sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robstrash

Registered
Reaction score
My fiance and I are going to sign up for a class at end of August. We went to LDS to look at gear. We will definitely buy mask at LDS and probably (eventually) regulator and serviceable stuff.

However, fins seem to be much cheaper online. We didn't try anything on, but I liked the Mares Avanti Quattro and my fiance liked the Tusa Imprex. We were thinking of getting fins over the internet but are not too sure about sizes. We live in NoCal so will be be wearing 6.5mm boots since near cold waters of Monterey (but will also be doing Caribbean and Hawaii but LDS says just wear same boots everywhere).

For me, I wear size 11.5 (45) shoe. I have had problems getting sizings for Mares but it appears you take your shoe size and then add 1 for the booties. Looks like that would put me into "Extra Large" Quattro fins. Problem is that I can't find sizes at the Mares web site. How can I verify this?

Also, finace wears women's 7 shoe. Again, I assume you add 1 shoe size for the booties. The Tusa web site says Women's size 8 and higher are "Regular" size while 7 and lower are"Small."

Just want to verify the sizings. Don't really want to ask the LDS since not buying from them. Neither of us mind slightly used stuff on eBay and it seems to be quite cheaper (and if not there, from Leisurepro or Scubastore).

Thanks!

I don't know about Tusa fins but both my buddy and I wear quattro's.

He is a size 12 with his boots and drysuit and wears xtra large. I am a size 4.5 boots and drysuit and I wear small. If at all possible I would try them on to make sure they fit because it will makes for very very difficult and uncomfortable dives if they don't. If they are too big you are running the risk of losing them and also have to work harder on a dive and if they are too small they are going to kill your feet and make the dive miserable.

But .....I switched to IDI frog fins about a year and a half ago.Have converted lots of students and regular divers to these fins.

I believe a size medium of these would be good for both of you.

BTW: My Tusa's cracked in the foot pocket. IDI's are all rubber and will last a long time.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom